1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Block Heater Install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by gpb5200, Mar 2, 2007.

1. gpb5200

gpb5200 New Member

How easy/difficult is it to install a block heater myself? Is it basically just plug and play, or is it more involved? From what I can gather, I will need to get underneath the car? Does anyone have any pics of the installation point?
    Thanks in advance.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about use the heating element from a hair dryer?

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gpb5200 @ Mar 2 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]399269[/snapback]</div>
    There's a bunch of threads on it here, here's mine

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...mode=linearplus

Yes, you need to get underneath, but it's not that difficult to install. Someone else here installed it from above, but it involved taking a lot of parts off that I was not wanting to tackle.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gpb5200 @ Mar 2 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]399269[/snapback]</div>
    Here a link to the probably longest running thread on this.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...eater+installed

You'll get different answers depending on who you talk to.

Myself, I had to make several attempts. I did it from above and had to take the cowling under the wiper off and on twice. That was mainly because the first time I tried I got too much thermal grease on the heater and found it impossible to handle. Whether you do it from above or below, I suggest you don't put any grease on the heater itself. Put as much grease in the hole as you can.

I tried a number of times, repeatedly trying it on ramps, jacking it up, etc. and just didn't have enough room to get my arm into position from below the car. Others have done it from below with relatively little difficulty.

However you do it (In any case it is possible, and some people actually claim it's easier than other automotive work they've done.), good luck.

Dave M.