1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Bumper Replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jyl, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd like to replace the front bumper on our 2007 Prius, since the wife has put some nasty and obtrusive scrapes on both sides of the bumper, probably from tall curbs. To be clear, by "bumper" I mean the body-color painted plastic one-piece cladding, not the underlying bumper reinforcement structure.

I have found a used bumper in the correct color, described as for "2004-2007 Prius".

My question is, how difficult is it to remove and replace the bumper? I have lots of tools, floor jack, jackstands, and experience working on the mechanicals of cars (e.g. have pulled and fixed engines, replaced suspension bushings-balljoints-springs, rebuilt brakes, etc) but have never messed with bodywork.

What fasteners hold the bumper on, and what do I need to avoid breaking?

Also, I'm assuming all 2004-2007 models used the same bumper - is that right?

Thanks, everyone.

2. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd better check one other thing - did the color "Seaside Pearl" (i.e. medium blue) change during 2004-2007?

3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  4. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ah ha, that is great. Thank you!