1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diy drum brake shoe replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Jul 15, 2017.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okies got a free evaluation on my brakes got 8 on the front 2 and 3 on the back so they are goners.
    I know I have to pull two fuses/relays from the front fuse panel and press the brake petal. Anything else I need to take in account?
    terramir

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What will the dealership charge? Seriously, I'm a rabid disc brake DIY'r, hate drum brakes. The most I'll do is pull the drum, release the spring clips that hold the shoes against the backing plate, and sneak a little lube into the three bearing points between shoes and backing plate. For shoe replacement, I did it once, swore never again: let the pros do it.

Maybe just me: if you're regularly doing drum brakes, yeah go for it. A pair of fully threaded M8X1.25 (by maybe 25mm long) bolts may be needed, to work the drum off. There's threaded holes in the drum face.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Man, I hate those clips! I used to just leave them in place and pry the shoes up a little, just enough to sneak the lube in at the support points. They are springs, after all.

-Chap

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I push the spring clips down with a pair of pliers, while simultaneously turning the flat head of the locking pin. It is awkward, can take two or three tries. I think there's a proper tool for this? Not something you need to often, 2~3 times in the life of vehicle?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is 8, 2, 3? If that means lining depth in mm, then nothing needs to be done. The new thickness is 11 mm on the front pads and 4 mm on the back shoes. The minimum spec is 1 mm.

terramir, edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be worthwhile to redo the aforementioned lube, relatively easy, but yeah: 2~3 mm is lots on shoes, no need to replace. Missed that.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    petal.....wow

8. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The unevent wear alone is concerning, but I'm in the states so 2 is 2/32nd which is 1.5875 mm if they were evenly worn at 3 which is 2.38mm I'd say great but there also beginning to fracture as well so they do need to go soonest possible time. The front ones are about 6.35 mm so they should be fine for a while.
    terramir

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As far as I know brakes pad/shoe thickness in 'States is commonly stated in mm. I've never heard it quoted in 32's of inches.

I would just get the drums off first, see for yourself. Lube the contact points while you're in there. And yeah, maybe disconnect the 12 volt for the duration of the drum being off.

10. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw it while it was off and yes the shoe is quite thin and cracking.
    And it's a quite commonly used fraction tires are also measured in x/32"
    terramir