1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY extra LED lights in the Gen 3 tow hook cover area?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robert Holt, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpeg Has anyone fabricated and installed extra LED lights in the two hook cover part of the front bumper of a 2012-2015 Gen 3 hatchback? My search found one listing of a commercial product using a matrix of 6 LEDs, but no DIY approaches where you could try different LED setups for fog lights, driving lights, or Daytime Running Lights.
    Step 1 is replacing the original plastic tow hook cover with a clear Plexiglass replacement, as shown above.

Step 2 is purchasing or building a replacement a LED assembly that fits the roughly 2" high by 3" wide opening (TBD).

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a fun unique custom project that could make your car stand out. Love to see how this works out.

3. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Attached Files:

4. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you!
    I believe I ran across references to that thread and even saw a pic of the LED array illuminated , but the tow hook cover in the 2010-2011 front bumper is in the middle of the surface and appears slightly smaller than the tow hook cover located at the lower edge of the surface where the bumper meets the lower air intake on a 2012-2015 hatchback bumper. I am considering more of a projector-style lamp with a single Cree LED in a housing with a reflector that creates a directional, focused beam. Goal is to have the drivers about 100 yards ahead clearly and unmistakably see that I am approaching. Must carefully consider heat dissipation, however, as I wish to avoid melting the bumper!

5. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was concerned enough about heat that I was thinking about putting a 2" LED side marker there. I don't think that there's enough room behind the bumper for a high-intensity LED.

6. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a gap in the layer of foam about 2" square and the metal frame bar is exposed at the back of that. If I can get solid metal to metal contact with that bar,,it should act as an adequate heat sink. The hole where the tow hook usually screws in can be used to route the wires from the LED assembly straight back to join a wiring harness which will be connected to a fuse. LEDs should come tomorrow, and if no rain I will start work.