1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY full length ramp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Jun 11, 2009.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I plan to make a full length ramp.

Would backing up to the ramp require less shallow angle?

2x12 boards strong enough?

Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I made mine out of old railway ties, the finished height is 3.5 ft off the ground. The ramp angle is quite low, I'd guess around 12-15 degrees. The chin spoiler barely makes contact but does no damage. It's perfectly level on top, and strong enough to support a one ton pickup truck

I'll never use old railway ties again. It was truly backbreaking work. Next time I'll weld something out of steel. If you use 2x12 it should be strong enough, make sure to double up the boards on the outside.

1 person likes this.
  3. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

I saw some long ramps at a swap meet that were so inexpensive, I was sorry I made my own. Search the internet. What I did was to make starter ramps for my standard ramps, triangular shape. I made them by laminating 2x4's, screwing them together with drywall screws. They extend the ramp a little over a foot, and allow me to go up forward or reverse. They contact the ground on one face and the ramp on another. As for something home made, to hold a car up while I am underneath? made of wood?, the only thing I would trust would be solid wood, like laminated lumber or railroad ties.

1 person likes this.
  4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course, if the ramp is outside, you will have to use treated lumber and treated screws. Otherwise it will quickly decay