1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY iPhone holder - check it out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Much More Better, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got around to making an iPhone cradle for my V (non-Nav). I didn't want to drill holes, use up a cup holder, or intrude into passenger space. It had to put the iPhone within easy reach, and had to be sturdy.
    It took me so long..........until I figured out the key was to replace the shifter knob with the cradle. I unscrew the shifter and took note of the stem size and thread. Found its equivalent in a hex bolt in my collection, so I gauged drill size and use the bolt to thread the wood before installing in car.

I cut a piece of cedar and drilled a hole on the underside with a slight tilt towards me. Cedar is soft, so if it gets loose, version 2 will be walnut.
    I thread it on and made sure there is enough clearance to still work the shifter. It feels sturdy.

Cable mgmt is in progress. I have to get a right angle 3.5mm stereo jack to tuck things in better. I might use the USB under the bridge instead of inside the centre armrest.

Attached Files:

2. MagnetMan

MagnetMan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I never would of thought of that. Looks great!

3. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my 3rd and final version. The 2nd version used a single 30 pin cable for both power and audio. Separate cables were such a PITA. It looked the same, and I wanted more. Using both hands to unplug the cable grew tiresome so I modified the cradle. I kept the same piece of wood and I permanently fixed the cable jack so it acts as a dock. Now, I can dock/undock the phone with one hand. Makes getting in and out of the car less of a chore. I rounded the corners and finished it off with matte black paint. I tucked the cable between the bottom of the bridge, between the top cup holder and the flanges of the centre console. This is the best compromise between the need to manage music and info, ease of use, USB power, sturdy installation, and totally reversible.

Disadvantages:
    1. Cradle is made to fit the external dimensions of the iPhone + case. Will not accept a change in case or multiple phones.
    2. armrest cannot close completely, but very close.
    3. not "factory flush" install.
    4. requires woodworking tools to make. Table saw, drill press. A router would be nice but I don't have one.

Attached Files:

peterjmc likes this.
  4. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty amazing solution. You are quite talented. I could never do that myself. In my case, I want to keep my iphone next to the steering wheel slightly off to the left. One of the issues I found with using my iPhone for navigation on my previous car, a 1999 Lexus RX 300, was that no matter where I put it, when the sun shine in, even if it was not hot outside, the iPhone would begin to heat up and what it does to cool itself off (before it shuts down) is to turn off the backlit display rendering everything pretty much unreadible. I thought it was my iPhone so I exchanged it at the Apple store and the replacement did the same thing.

What I found, like with any computer system back to the beginning, is the need to keep it cool with a fan. I first looked for a case with a fan (perhaps even a solar cell to run the fan), but never found one. Plus, I was very happy with my case, an Otterbox which while water resistant, was a self-enclosing plastic case which further exacerbated the heating problem.

I had to either get cool air to blow on the unit by finding so something to redirect the air to the back of the unit or put it in front of an air vent. I chose the later using a commercial holder.

My solution which works in both my Lexus and my Prius is to use a couple of parts from a company called "Ram-Mount". I want to position the phone slightly to the left of the steering wheel right above the left a/c vent. This way I can quickly look at the display and even touch the display without taking my hand off the steering wheel. Since I am a small businessman and use a 'square' credit card scanner for my iPhone, I had a couple of inexpensive styluses I have customers sign with. These work perfectly in letting me interact with the iPhone without touching it.

Now to position the phone, I start with a suction cup arm/mount, then a pivot and a small arm to extend it and then a pivot and a long arm to get it to position next to the steering wheel. The suction cup sticks securely on that little window in front of the driver window. There are two choices for a holder - the one specific for the iPhone but that won't work when the iPhone is in an otterbox. So I use the generic holder which opens and closes width wise and that holds it secure and even has a slot below it for an incoming connector and wire. For power, I purchased on ebay a two USB, cigarette lightly adapter to install in the plug below the gear shift (so my wife can also charge her phone), and a 6 ft iphone connector that goes just above the steering wheel to the holder.

All the above ram-mounts, adapters and plugs cost something like $50 +/- can't remember the exact prices since I purchased the various parts over the years for use with my previous Garmins and merely bought new holders.

P.S. - I have never had a heating problem with the iPhone and this apparatus can be disassembled quickly and put in a suitcase, so I can take it with me on trips after I park the Prius and use it rental cars.

I own a Prius with Navigation and never use it because of the mothering effect that turns everything off over 10 mph (& don't choose to get the after market thing that can fool it). Even if the navigation unit worked fully, I still find my Garmin apps (I own both apps but prefer the one which loads the maps into the iPhone) easier to use and much more functional and intuitive. I gave both my standalone Garmin Nuvis (one low end and one high end) to my daughter/son-in-law for their cars.

Joel

1 person likes this.
  5. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Joel,

Started this back in Oct so I didn't get to experience summer heat on the phone. So far though, sunlight has not made the screen illegible. Maybe it's because of the angle I have it at; I have not had glare into my eyes.

OTOH, winter has specific issue. A gloved hand does not control the iPhone very well. I had to deglove every time I touch the phone, so I bought a stylus. My new problem: Where to put the stylus within reach!?!?!

6. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The heating issue only really occurs if you keep the phone on or above the dash level. Where you have the phone pictured you will not see a heating issue. You probably know what the heat feels like yourself during the summer in the car with the sun shining on the dash even if the temps outside are in the 60s or 70s (and here in Texas that happens right now! LOL).

If you look to the left of your steering wheel - that area back to the little window gets very little sunlight (at least for me it does) relative to the rest of the car from the dash up.

As far as the stylus, if you look at the driver door handle, there is a little holder in it. That is where I keep the stylus when not in use. A lot of times, I will merely drive with both hands on the steering wheel with the stylus between two fingers in my left hand (sort of how people who smoke hold a cigarette).

Joel

7. Tony420

Tony420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good work, I liked it when you painted it matte black. Looks oem.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent, well done!

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Excellent hack! A+

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Creative
    Put a picture of the shift pattern on your homescreen :)

1 person likes this.
  11. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol good one

12. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I got the i5 so it was time to make another shifter cradle for it. This time, I used Pau Ferro (a South American hardwood) and I bought a router. The router was used to mill the slot out of one solid piece of wood. The foot was shaped with a dremel and glued on. I settled on a bigger tilt than my last iteration. Although I love the grain in Pau Ferro, I liked my black version as well. I just don't have the heart to spray paint such nice wood (yet).

Just like my last one, it requires no permanent modification to my car and allows normal shifting. I tucked the cable behind the lid of the upper cupholder. I can't close the lid but I never close it anyway. My 2010 Prius V has the JBL and no Nav, so I rely on the USB for power and 3.5mm jack for audio. The lightning to 30-pin adapter fits onto a 30 pin to USB + 3.5mm audio combo cable. I'm not sure if I want to hide my phone and BT stream audio anyway. I like to manage songs, answer short texts, and receive notifications. As controversial as Apple's Maps is, I'm sure it's better than Toyota's Nav. Turn by turn navigation is heard thru the car's speaker and cuts out music appropriately.

For safety, I try to use voice dictation as much as possible. Siri is reasonably accurate. Siri also allows me to cue up a song without scrolling for it. Yesterday, on the way to the theatre, my wife wanted to know the running time of Skyfall. I asked Siri and within 5 secs we had the answer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3TE likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another great job mmb, well done. that looks very nice!

Much More Better likes this.
  14. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  15. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's pretty cool!!

16. Aquos

Aquos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
  17. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a MDL II, and I wonder why you use the audio cable connector and not just the USB into the dedicated USB for the iPod/iPhone input? I like the idea what you have there.

18. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because my 2010 does not support USB audio. I get power from USB, that's all.

19. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not for me, I'd never get rid of my Golf Ball!

20. sbddude

sbddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Isn't that dangerous? What would happen if you accidentally bump the shifter?

I went with a PanaVise mount, which is nearby the shifter and very sturdy. You could do the same and continue using your nice wooden cradle. I got the mount under $30 shipped. Toyota Prius 2010-2011 Custom Mount | TSS-Radio