1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Oil Change in HyCam?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by onerpm, Oct 17, 2007.

1. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm about due to do the first home-oil change on my wife's hyCam, as the dealer gave us the first two free.
    (I've done my Prius and other cars many times).

Has anyone changed oil themself on this car yet? I haven't even looked for the drain plug or filter yet, but recall reading somewhere that the filter is hard to get to.

Searched already for this with no success.

Rpm

2. zo6tosv

zo6tosv New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Oct 17 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]527015[/snapback]</div>

Did oil change twice already on the 2007 Camry Hybrid. Very easy if you have the right tools to remove the oil filter. Of course you need a ratchet with an extension but what is a must is an oil filter cap wrench. the one i used is a OEM Industrial part number 25404. See pic below. I myself don't like being under a car supported by a jack only. So i use a low ramp or jack stands or a combo. the more support the better. But by far one of the easiest oil changes. I only lifted left side of car. Hope this helps.
    [attachmentid=12101]

Attached Files:

3. no4noil

no4noil New Member

DO NOT do the FIRST oil Change!!!!! The filter is on very very tight. They are installed at the factory by machine. Let the dealer do the first one. You will be glad you did.

I am using the dealers' Toyota filter and mobil 1 oil.

Best of LUCK...

Bill

4. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(No4Noil @ Nov 3 2007, 11:02 PM) [snapback]534527[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I recall the filters being very tight from the factory on my Prii as well. On the HyCam, the dealer gave us free changes already at 5k and 10k, so I'm ok there. I also have the end cap oil filter wrench from my Prius changes, so I should be good on that point.

I don't want to lift the car at all. Where is the oil filter located?

rpm

5. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Nov 5 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]534953[/snapback]</div>
    It is pretty difficult to take a photo of the filter itself without raising the car but, here is a photo that shows where it can be found relative to the oil drain plug which is a lot easier to find.

[​IMG]

BTW, I had no problem at all removing my factory oil filter with my oil filter removal tool very much like the unit in the photo one or two messages prior to this one. I have not needed to raise, ramp or lift the vehicle at all to do my oil changes.

Best Regards,
    Wayne

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    thank you, sir. I have no interest in getting under a raised car. just hoping my wife doesn't get to 15k miles until spring!

rpm

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, my wife got another free oil change from the dealer at 15k, so I finally did my first DIY change on her Camry at 20k. I put in a Fumoto valve for next time.
    My notes:
    1. I ran the car up onto a couple of 2x6 boards to give me a bit more clearance, but this really wasn't necessary.
    2. The Camry has easier access to the filter than does the Prius.
    3. Took about 4.1 qts. I recall manual stated 4.3 w/ filter change, but I've always found that manuals overstate that.
    4. They don't make it easy to add the new oil...none of my funnels would fit into the hole, because of something just inside there blocking the way. Had to use a paper funnel until I could get enough out of the 5-qt. Mobil 1 jug to feel comfortable pouring it directly, freehand.

8. nycamry

nycamry New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About to change oil in my wife's 2008 Camry Hybrid for the first time. Had the dealer do it for 5K and 10K service, but they can't seem to get it right the first time with regard to using 0W-20, so I just going to do it myself. No stranger to oil changes, just looking for the torque spec on the drain plug and also, how to orient the new drain plug washer since the outer material is thicker on one side vs. the other. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

9. acdii

acdii Active Member

Fun Fact

Did you know the oil filter for a 2009 Camry Hybrid is identical to a 2009 John Deere 24 HP X500 motor? So if you are ever in farm country and cant find an autozone and desperately need to change your oil, you can always head over to a John Deere store and get an oil filter there.

10. aditi1

aditi1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    V
    thanks for this guideline. i was unaware about this task.:mod: