1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by draheim, May 10, 2010.

1. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just skimmed a most entertaining thread here about oil changes that contained a surprisingly concentrated number of posts regarding Middle Earth, evil corporations, Bush/Cheney and the Magic Kingdom. Evidently how frequently you change your oil is either directly or inversely proportional to how frequently you go to church (can't remember which). Anyway... to hopefully avoid much of that and keep this thread on topic, I'll ask my questions as specifically as possible. (Also, I have downloaded a helpful "how-to" from the John's Stuff website, linked from this forum, so I already know about that.)

Frequency. It has been argued that changing the oil somewhere in the 1k to 5k range might be a good idea, because of a possibly higher degree of metal-to-metal contact during a new car's "break-in" period. I buy the argument at least that it can't be a bad idea to change your oil before the factory-recommended oil change (after all, what's the harm except to my wallet). So no one needs to try to convince me to wait until 1 year or 10k miles; I'm already aware that this is Toyota's recommendation but I don't see why doing an early oil change would be a problem.

Raising the car. I'm looking at a Blitz 8000 plastic ramp, but some have complained that using this ramp they can't easily get the plastic door all the way open to access the oil pan - and even if they do, the ramp has the car tilted such that all the old oil can't drain out completely. Hypothetically speaking then, if I set the ramps on top of a sufficiently wide, solid 1" thick board, and also put them on my driveway which has a slight slope up to the garage (ramps would be pointing down the slope), will I increase both the ability to get the plastic cover open as well as the chance of getting the oil to drain forward out of the oil pan, without simultaneously increasing the chance of somehow crushing my skull while trying to unscrew the plug? Or would trying to do this on even a slight slope be inherently risky, even if I use the parking brake and wedge something in front of the rear tires, etc.?

Oil. I asked the guy at the service dept. where I bought the car if any 0W-20 oil was OK, and he said yes. But I remain skeptical. Is there a compelling reason to buy only Toyota brand 0W-20 oil, other than because the manual says so? And if so, can I find this product anywhere except a Toyota dealership? I have only used 10W-30 oil on my other cars, so I don't know how common 0W-20 synthetic oil even is. Ideally I'd like to find a website where I can order all my oil change supplies (including OEM oil filter); if anyone has any suggestions on this, please advise.

My car is only at about 650 miles at this point but I'd like to have all the equipment & materials at the ready for my first oil change, which I will probably attempt within the next few months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A Toyota technician on here mentioned the Toyota-branded oil has a molybdenum content that is unique to the other 0W-20 brands. Of course it would be in his best interest to sing its praises but take that for what it's worth.

3. Grueny

Grueny New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    0W-20 synthetic is NOT common. You certainly won't find it in the synthetic oil section of your favorite mega-store. Even a lot of auto parts stores don't carry it, but can order it for you. The only place I found it in stock was at Pep Boys. And the only brand they had was Mobil 1 (green cap). I have no concerns at all with the quality of Mobil 1 0W-20 vs Toyota's.

If I'm not mistaken, a quart was about $7.50. I only picked up one since I just wanted to have it on hand for emergency sake.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Frequency: Yes it seems to be strictly a matter of opinion because there are no data available. I changed mine at 1.5K, 5K, 10K and 20K, 10K intervals from now on. As you said it can't hurt and if you DIY it's really not that expensive.

Raising The Car: I use Rhino ramps from Auto Zone with 2 inch boards under them, seem to work fine. Having the front a bit higher is no problem because the drain plug is on the back of the pan. The car only needs to be level for transaxle fluid change. The three plastic push pins that hold the oil change door are a problem, they break. It's good to have some spare ones and I think there is a thread on that. You can use tie wraps if you run out of pins.

Oil: I use Mobil 1 0W20 from Wal Mart for $6.27/qt, picked up 9 quarts on sale recently for $4/quart. I think Mobil1 or Toyota's oil are both good, noticed Valvoline has a 0W20 now also. As far as I know no tests have been done to compare them. Oil filters and drain plug washers are available on line, filters come with a new O ring.

Genuine Toyota Cartridge Oil Filter FREE SHIPPING! 04152-YZZA6-CASE10

(10) Oil Plug Gaskets (a must for each oil change) 90430-12031-BAG10

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It may just be local to So Cal, but there are a bizillion places advertising $10 - $15 oil changes. Why not go to a discount shop, bring your own oil/filter, and not deal with disposal etc....

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :eek: oh my goodness!!!

I think a lot of stripped oil drain plugs and improperly installed filters come out of those places. You really shouldn't do that to a nice car. I know some people do and seem to get away with it, for a while anyway, but I wouldn't take the chance.

I suspect you would have to show them where the drain plug and the filter are located. At least if you go to a dealer they are going to know that. In fact both Toyota dealers in this area will change your oil and provide a filter for less than $20 if you supply your own oil. That's just and oil change and doesn't include the tire rotation and inspection of course.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And that is saying a lot for the dealers too! Our Toy dealer has been pretty good but I took my Kia van in to that dealer and when I got it back, the drain plug was on so tight I had to use a breaker-bar to get it off (ended up rounding it off too).
    I wouldn't take my cars to a quick lube either.