1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY plugin prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Flying White Dutchman, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Soon ( a few months ) i wil start a DIY ( do it yourself ) plugin prius project.

Buth first i want to discus the trouble that i can ran in to.

What i want to do is the folowing :
    connect a DC-AC converter to a 12volt batterie
    SO i get 230 volts AC

Then i connect a AC-DC converter that makes 230AC to 230DC ( testing fase only 1 amp )

i wil use this to recharg the HV( high voltage ) batterie of the prius.

The system wil charge for 5 min and then shutoff
    it instanly reads the voltage and when its beneed say 202 volts the charging starts again
    so i dont need any expencif charging system.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a lot of AC/DC conversion going on there. It seems like you're going head-first with this project. What examples are you trying to follow with this DIY job?

3. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its not a lot;)

i want this to be alcheapo DIY:)

So i use a 12 volt batterie nothing special sealed acid.
    then a standard 2000watt DC12volt to AC110/220 converter from the shops.
    and then the AC-DC converter that stays on the same voltage buth only from ac to dc
    and because i am going to use a alcheapo DC-AC converter there is a blocksinus wave out of that so i dont need so level the sinus wave like in normal ac-dc convertions
    ( i think ;) )

i think it wil be below 1000 dollars.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i think a wil connect the 12 volt battery from the prius to my 12 volt battery
    then when the prius generates power its also come tru the 12volt dc-dc converter from the prijs and that energie is then put in the 12volt plugin battery

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would spend some time on:
    Prius PHEV - EAA-PHEV
    and on the mailing list associated with that page.

A lot of these sorts of things have been tried, and failed in the process of coming up with a working recipe. Biggest problems I would be worried about with this plan:

1) DC voltage needs to be at least 242V to trigger SOC drift, otherwise controller will not use any of the extra charge you put in.
    2) 12V -> 240V conversion means the current out of your batteries will be 10X higher than the current demand by the HV system. This could easily cut the efficiency/capacity of your battery pack in half.
    3) To extend EV range, you really need to get somewhere between 40-100 Amps supplied to the HV system. Thats more in the 10-20kW range rather than 2kW.
    4) Just because your inverter is rated to 2kW, and rectifier is rated to 1A, doesn't mean that the HV system is only going to pull 1A. If the HV battery is at 180V and you put a 230 or 240V constant voltage source across it your source is going to try and put out enough current to maintain its target voltage. This will either smoke the rectifier, crash the inverter voltage (killing its efficiency), or overheat and smoke the inverter.
    5) In order to get the Prius to use electric power more often, you have to manage the apparent SOC of the built in battery pretty precisely. The ideal SOC value is different under different driving conditions. A simple time based charging could easily over charge and damage the HV battery. Trying to determine SOC based on voltage is not very reliable.

Although it may sound complicated/expensive, the cal-cars conversion is really about as simple as it gets. There is a big battery, a switch, and a small computer that decides when to open and close the switch. There are dc:dc converter based conversions (like Manzanita Micro's) out there as well, but they are considerably more expensive.

Rob

6. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hate to stifle your creativity, but I don't think this will work either. As the 12V pack voltage runs down, the built in dc:dc converter will pull more and more current from the HV system to try and recharge the 12V battery. This will in turn pull more and more current out of the 12V system, lowering its voltage further. You basically get a feedback loop and burn all your battery power heating up all the inefficiencies/losses in the system. Then it will start running the gas engine all the time to try and charge the whole thing up back up.

Rob

7. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it wil only pull 12 volt out of the system when te car is barking and producing energy not when the car is driving in ev mode!

8. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    howe can toyota build a dc-ac(500volt ) converter the same size a a 2000watt DC-ac converter?

9. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    www.calcars.org discovered that while the battery ECU normally operates by counting amps in and out and so ignores any extra capacity, if you keep adding charge from another source that by passes the current measuremen part of the stock battery pack, something new happens.
    As you get close to the upper 80% SOC limit that Toyota sets, the HV ECU decides that it is necessary to shed some charge to keep the battery happy and so it causes the engine management software to start drawing significant current from the battery pack by running the electric motor at higher power. So in effect it ignores the normal rules and starts using that extra charge to move the vehicle, both above and below the 32mph EV threshold. Below 32mph it will use stealth mode (pure electric) far more than normal. Above 32mph it will add electric power even at 70 mph and so reduce the demand on the ICE, which is how you can get 100+mpg. It will do this as long as the external source is capable of charging the stock battery close to 80%. When the external source no longer has enough energy left to maintain this, the Prius simply reverts back to normal hybrid mode.

from blank

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a flat road with no headwind, it takes ~210 watt-hours to move the Prius 1 mile at 60 mph. Hills or headwinds or accelerating past someone make this worse. Careful driving around town makes it better. But its a good ball-park number to work with.
    A battery with a usable capacity of 210 watt hours them would normally move the Prius ~1 mile. 1000 watt-hours (or 1kwh) would move it ~5 miles on electricity alone, or if used for 10 miles in assist mode could double your MPG. 3kwh of battery could let you do 30 miles of 100+MPG driving. That is now within the range of some people's commuting habits.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Palm Mileage Simulator

MPH Watt hours
    40 152.8 Wh
    45 181.3 Wh
    50 190.8 Wh
    55 202.9 Wh
    60 215.5 Wh
    65 233.4 Wh
    70 250.3 Wh
    75 268.5 Wh
    80 287.8 Wh

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm thinking it if was this simple, cheap and got any kind of effective results, someone would have done it by now or Toyota would have incorporated it by now.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sounds like a comment about electric light blubs from the 1870's

14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes
    stil using a lot of those and there are better options for 10 years now

15. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this trial is not practical because the PbA cycle life is very short.
    You'll need to spin the ICE above 42 mph and require approximately 2 kW to spin it.

Ken@Japan

16. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok
    so this info about the 210watth is not correct?

17. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was saying you can't exceed 42 mph or 67 km/h by motor alone.
    However, Toyota factory plug-in Prius can be in EV mode up to 100 km/h.
    TOYOTA: News Releases

Ken@Japan

18. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it looks that the pligin uses the same battery X2 and the same elec motor and same elec motor RPM.
    so with te current elec motor it wil be possible to get to 100kmph to
    if the software wil alow it..

nice hope someone wil build a aftermaket kit or toyota wil provide one ( dont think so buth i hoop )

19. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My point is that the folks at cal-cars have spent five years coming up with a low cost open source phev conversion process, which is finally just about complete. As an EE, I started out thinking I would just come up with my own design too. I quickly realized I would just be reinventing the same things they had already come up with. They have learned a lot of things the hard way, and made a lot of mistakes that I won't have to repeat by taking advantage of what they are offering.

As a data point the cal-cars packs are 4800 Wh (20x12Vx20Ah) and they seem to be getting 10-12 miles of EV out of them, and that is at much slower speeds than 60mph. Part of the problem is the non-linearity (Peukert Effect) of lead acid batteries. At the ~60A that the pack is discharged at in the cal-cars case you only get about 60% of the ideal pack capacity. On top of that, you can only use about 50-80% of that or you will severely impact the longevity of the batteries. So the usable capacity is probably <2400Wh. So this would probably be in the 200-240Wh/mile range (or maybe a little less), but I believe the speed is <34mph so as to be able to maintain EV mode. The difference is probably just the reality of real driving. You have to accelerate, there are hills, wind etc.

Rob

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this guy's going to become a negative statistic..
    _H*