1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY "proclip" style mount for $10 total

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by n2imagination, May 17, 2011.

1. n2imagination

n2imagination New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So this is for the cheapskates out there like me that dont feel like paying $30 for a simple bent piece of metal. I looked at the clip idea from proclips and thought of my daughters frog tank in her room and the metal tank lid clips we use to secure it on. They are very similar to the proclip idea so I went to cutting and bending them to clip onto my Prius dash. After a bit of cutting, bending and simple spray-paint heres what I ended up with.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    All this is is the simple tank lid clip cut to fit and a cheap swivel mount cell phone holder for $5-$10 screwed to the clip.

Tank Clipshttp://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0002DHKN0?tag=priuschatcom-20 Car Mounthttp://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000EFPVY6?tag=priuschatcom-20 is what the clip looks like installed with no holder. As you can see the clip does push in the center plastic just a bit but it doesn't bother me at all, and it creates enough room and organization for me to even prop the Ipad up for navigation in the center.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I will post a step by step if it is wanted. Just thought I would share how to make your own "proclip" style holder for under $10 total.

3 people like this.
  2. a1rjumpman23

a1rjumpman23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This seems interesting. Keep us updated!

3. AppleDoc

AppleDoc New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d be interested in a how-to.

Thanks!

4. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would like a how to also.. I may just do this!

5. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like it.

6. n2imagination

n2imagination New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry guys. Didnt see there was any interest at first and I've been away for a bit. I will put up some basic how to tomorrow.

7. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been a few months, still going at it? I've been looking into a solution and I am going with "Mountek CD Slot Mount MT5000-C" if I can't find an affordable solution. This looks good though! I have a gen II prius.

8. Minion

Minion New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would you happen to know anything about how big of a device it can hold? I have a 7inch Archos tablet that I'd like to be able to mount in front of the CD player area. It's roughly 8in x 4in.

9. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe I saw somewhere it said it can expand to 4.5". But I have been looking into getting a 7" android tab to use mostly in my Prius! Maybe we should start a new thread for this topic, because I am surely interested.

Worst case some new larger screen android phones are rolling out to Verizon soon (4.5" ICS goodness which I might just get) :)

Also.. I kinda like what this fella did for a 7" tab mount (but I'd like something cleaner and sturdier):
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/94921-android-in-dash-install.html