1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Vinyl Roof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FranklinS, Jun 2, 2013.

1. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This thread is for DIY Vinyl roof install technique, material selection, tools. It is related directly to the thread below where people are seeking others locally to meet and greet and install DIY Vinyl roofs. If you are looking to partner up with people go here:

Vinyl Wrap Party? | PriusChat

Again this is for DIY only. Not shop experiences, or if you don't think we should, etc.
    I posted a request to keep the other thread I read this question from mrstop, for this I apologize:

Here is his question :

"I have been thinking of putting black vinyl on my roof. Any thoughts on matte vs satin vs gloss in regards to durability/ease of maintenance? What brands of vinyl are good?"

2. NorCalPrius2013

NorCalPrius2013 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not my cars, but they are cars of members on the forum that I saw in different threads that might help people make a decision on what best suits their taste/need:

ucsmfu's car with carbon fiber wrap:
    [​IMG]
    source: What did you do to ur Prius today???? | Page 41 | PriusChat

prius2010show's car with glossy black vinyl:
    [​IMG]
    source: My new 2012 Prius got a Gloss Black Vinyl Roof Wrap! | PriusChat

and sfv41901's painted roof:
    [​IMG]
    source: My new 2012 Prius got a Gloss Black Vinyl Roof Wrap! | Page 2 | PriusChat

I hope that someone can provide a better picture of one with carbon fiber wrap and also one with flat black vinyl

kosi2, patdeezy and FranklinS like this.
  3. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is also a satin finish which I am thinking about and wrapping over the trunk valance too. The most popular vinyl is 1080 by 3M. Find a lot of it on Ebay.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of the online places sell small samples for a reasonable price, even if they don't list them it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Once you get the samples, stick them to something and see how hard it is to make visible scratch and rub marks on the different matte, satin, gloss surfaces.

From my limited experience and what I have read, 3M seems to be the gold standard for wrap. If you see a vender or two selling 3M for way less than the others, it probably isn't real 3M. I ran into that doing my cars interior.

I bought my wrap about 2 years ago from metrorestyling on eBay and was happy with their service and their prices were about as good as anyplace actually selling genuine 3M. They carry a variety of 3M wraps and their house brand for about 1/2 the price of the 3M.

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was looking at metrorestyling as well. I was going to pick up one of their mesh grills to protect the radiators and saw they had a good selection and price on wrap.

6. patdeezy

patdeezy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    definitely thinking about wrapping my roof soon... although, for those that have done it, is there any noticeable additional cabin heat?

7. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can some tell me what size vinyl needed to wrap the roof? I know I can measure myself but my car is 3 blocks away.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    and a great time to exercise!!!!:LOL:

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was old...is new again!
    [​IMG]

I actually like some of the wraps that I see out there these days, but sometimes I can't help myself. :D