1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do 2007-2009 headlight assemblies fit 2004-2005?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Jun 2, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't seem to find definitive information on this subject.

I'd like to know if I can purchase the 2007+ headlight assemblies and install them on my 2005 Prius.

I would like to use these updated headlight assemblies for a projector retrofit which involves adding individual LEDs to the false LED "nubs" found only on the 2007+ headlights. I'll also be adding a CCFL (Angle Eye) ring mounted behind the projector shroud.

LEDs like this.
    [​IMG]

CCFLs kind of like this.
    [​IMG]

2. JetSetEnt

JetSetEnt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not buy the projector headlights off eBay? They have that same bar that goes across the middle of the headlight with the halo built in. you can just hook up and HID setup through it. That's what I plan on doing.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason I don't want to use those is because they are very expensive and the projectors are low quality and not nearly as good as the ones I currently have. So ultimately I would have to pull apart the housing/cover to add LEDs and a shroud since I am not looking for the typical halo.

Thanks for suggesting and alternative though. :)

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    F- have you tried contacting the Toyota dealership for parts or service?

5. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My local toyota dealership said they are identical just have to make sure you order either hid or reg bulb assembly but structurally they are identical

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll contact a dealership but I figured I'd try my friends at PC first. :)

Thanks Stefano!

7. Liv

Liv New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey guys! I need to replace the headlight assemblies on my 04 prius. The plastic is trashed and I'm sure an 18th century horse drawn carriage lit by a single oil lamp could see further down the road than I can.

F8L, did you have any success using a newer model year assembly on your 05? I have an 04 and I'm waiting to hear back from the local dealer. If you did, do you know if the 04-05s are identical?

Thanks!

Ewhitaker0020 likes this.
  8. Igoryan

Igoryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also looking for an answer. I am about to build a custom HID projector set for 2005 Prius and was wondering if I could use the newer headlights from 2007.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The mounting points are the same. The 2004-05 HID models used a D2R bulb and the 2006-09 used a D4R bulb.

PriusCamper and Igoryan like this.
  10. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    @TMR-JWAP Can I just swap the entire assembly (D4R bulb, "ballast" and all) from my 2007 and put it in my 2005? I know the bulbs are different and I noticed the "ballasts" are slso different, but if it's just "plug-n-play" and the system is the same, that will get me by until my OEM D2Rs arrive for the '05.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a good question. I've never compared the actual connections to see if an entire D4R headlight assembly could be installed in a D2R car as a plug and play. Off the cuff, I would say there's a good chance. Unfortunately, right now all I have in my collection with HID is a 2007 Touring and a 2009 Touring.

12. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the reply. Instead of using the ones from my '07 (especially since one of the ballasts keeps blowing the fuse), I found a pair of Philips D2Rs for $96. They are working fine now except for the adjustment. I can't figure out how to do it. Turning the white plastic nut does absolutely nothing. I was also getting the error for the leveling sensor, so I changed it and am still getting the error. Every post I've seen seems to indicate that as the fix but not with mine.