1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Americans need more Holiday/Vacation time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Sep 1, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just read the following article and was amazed that Americans get so little time off for holidays/vacation and often that time isn't paid unless you're in a senior position.

Is this a fair article or is it biased or out of date considering the writer is an American who has lived in the UK for 25 years.

BBC News - Would more holiday be good for America?

We do get at least 14 days paid holiday entitlement here in the UK if you are employed. If you are self employed or subcontracted then you are unlikely to get any paid holiday. There is also a big difference between state employee benefits and the rest of us :(

1 person likes this.
  2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Compared to Europe, yes, we need more leisure time for ourselves and our families.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a fair enough description of our system. There are legal holidays, where most people get the day off, but of course this varies by job. Discretionary time off, which we call vacation, is a complete wild card. When I first worked in industry I had two weeks of vacation after a couple of years. It took five years before I had three weeks of vacation. I left that job and never made it back to three weeks (other than now, because I own my corporation.)

With the bad economy, people here are afraid to take vacation even when they have it. The thinking is that after you are gone for a week or two, the boss will look around and say "Hey, why do we need that person?" It's not a happy state of affairs.

I think we would all be happier if we adjusted our social expectations to include less money but more free time. I did that with my life, and I wouldn't go back.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't read the article yet, but my initial response is that my company gives all US employees ten business days off work for national holidays (9 holiday days plus one which is often added to another one to an even longer holiday weekend). I'm salaried, so my days are paid. I am not sure about hourly employees.
    Additionally, I have earned three weeks of vacation time (fifteen days). This all adds up to 25 days of vacation/holiday per year.

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The trend for all humanity has been to decrease the time spend toward survival and increase the time spent in leisure, and for ever widening swaths of socioeconomic caste, as we give more productivity over to automation. The most enlightened societies are at the forefront of this trend; the less enlightened still shackled to the notion that "work" should take priority over "enjoyment". In the US the capitalist philosophy, which approaches its "ideal" state the closer a larger faction of the population approaches slave conditions in service to a decreasing cadre of "capitalists", the concept of "enjoyment" eventually superceding "work" as a life priority will be slow to take hold (ironic in a country whose founding ideals include "pursuit of happiness"), but by the time the rest of the civilised world achieves sustainable economies with half a year of discretionary time for everyone, the US will have likely managed to add 2 days to the average vacation, grudgingly.

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just responding to the title of this post... YES!

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lets see... 9 holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 10 vacation days a year (3 of which are mandated for use during the "end of year shutdown"). So overall, 20 days off. And, since I'm salaried, it's all "paid" time off. Not sure how the company handles hourly employees.

But it doesn't feel like 20 days off. Holidays, for the most part, just give us a 3 day weekend. Yeah, it's nice... but it's not really enough time for a big trip. The best I can do is spend the time in the BWCA. For my "real" vacations I can actually go someplace - Colorado/Utah/wherever for skiing, Florida to visit my grandparents, or Ohio to visit other family. If i try to do that over a 3 day weekend, I just end up spending more time traveling than I spend enjoying myself, and come back more stressed, rather than less.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can tell that some of us need more time off by the way some of us get all wigged out on some of the subjects here. ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry gc, there is no one answer to your question. there is no government mandate for time off. there are a handful of legal holidays and that's about it. in my circle, people get between 10 and 30 paid days off. some earned with longevity, some freely given. some people get 5-10 days sick time, paid in cash if they don't use it. there are problems for small companies when people are out, not sure how that works in your neck of the woods, and international competition makes productivity a huge issue with jobs disappearing all the time. this should generate another 300 posts i'd think!:D

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh I certainly hope not. ;)

That other one is still bumping along going round and round the same old stuff. :eek:

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we can sure beat a dead horse, can't we?:)

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :deadhorse:

1 person likes this.
  13. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i think we get enough time off. the country was built by hard work. you get too non-productive and everything goes to hell. i think the system here is fine. i definitely don't want to see any more government intervention. before someone brings up the fact that i'm a teacher, i'll just clarify that i get paid for 184 days per year, and i work 184 days per year. i have no paid days off. so, all that summer and spring break and stuff is time off, but it's unpaid. the only benefit i have in the way of time off is a handful of sick days and 3 personal days per year.

14. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the main thing about America is that it really depends on what job you have. Europe has more mandated vacations (and I have a couple relatives in Vienna, which seem to have so many Catholic holidays, it's not even funny). I've been self employed for several years, so I've found I take less vacation. But when I was employed, in an ecclectic occupation of medical illustration anyway, my employer gave me 2 weeks paid vacation. I think I also had 4 days sick leave. If I had been there over 5 years, I'd be able to take 3 weeks vacation.

Honestly, I like self employement....where even though I don't normally take 2 weeks vacation, I still can work from anywhere I want.

15. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does this American need more Holiday/Vacation time?

I'd like a vacation...

Mods... do NOT pay attention to this statement...

:D

16. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Given how a lot of "vacation" for many is spent communicating on the Blackberry or Laptop, a good many either don't really want to be away from work or don't understand how to take a vacation.

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's that puritan work ethic that got crammed down the American throat so hard for so many years...

People used to work much less to provide for themselves/family, and had much more content lives. As technology has increased to potential for more leisure time, the "standard of living" has been ratcheted up so much that leisure is shot all to hell, in the pursuit of "making a living"... and, people are more dissatisfied than ever.

Tom has chose wisely.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are undermining your own argument. At no time in this thread was it stated that Americans should get more *paid* time off. Being a teacher, you are a shining example of the benefit of more time off but less pay. Most Americans can't do this. They don't have the option of saying "I think I'll take the summer off. It's okay, I won't get paid." They would be out of work if they did that.

Many Americans now find it hard to use their accrued vacation, without fear of losing their jobs, let along taking an extended unpaid holiday. I fully appreciate the difficulties of being a teacher, but it is a job that is exceptional when it comes to time off.

I'm all in favor of more time off and less pay, at least as an option. I think most people would like it if they had the chance.

Tom

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this going to deteriorate into teacher rants? you don't want to hear my brother-in-law story... again!:D

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Why did America get the Puritans and Australia the criminals?

Australia had first choice.

1 person likes this.