1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do any other models inspire such hatred?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pyccku, May 28, 2007.

1. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm on another (non-hybrid related) message board, and someone asked if there were any downsides to owning a Prius. Of course, someone posted "you have to replace the battery at 5 years and it costs $5000!" Then someone put a link to the CNW study saying "see, the Prius is really more expensive to operate!" And someone else pulled out the "it doesn't really get that great gas mileage that is advertised." And, when all else fails, "you can't find a mechanic to fix the car if it breaks." Oh, and "it's new technology, so it's not really that reliable."

Several hybrid owners spoke up to point out the problems with those statements and the anti-Prius crowd still didn't back down. They INSIST that they are correct, even though they don't own the car and have no personal experience. I posted links to some non-biased sources (Consumer Reports) and still, the Prius-haters continued to pass on their opinions as facts.

It seems so strange that people are so anti-Prius that they would seriously try to discourage the ownership of one. Is there another model out there that has such hatred and animosity? If someone told me they were thinking about buying a Beetle or a Camry or a Sentra - I can't imagine dredging up a bunch of "proof" that those cars weren't good choices.

And in the end, the last post was "well, you really should buy an American vehicle to help the American economy, since the Prius really doesn't save the environment or save money for you."

Ummm...yeah. The Prius is the first Toyota I've bought that was not built in the US - and I've now owned 6 Toyotas. I did try American - a Dodge and a Ford - and both ended up in the shop so much that it was costing me time and money to keep them running. I think I'll stick with my reliable Toyota, thank you.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It would be interesting to know which car that message board was devoted to. I have never encountered these sorts of responses from anyone in real life, though I am aware that on line there are people who feel that way.

If the car which that board was devoted to was any kind of SUV (or if the people giving those responses were SUV owners), I'd explain their reaction as their intense psychological need to justify their ownership of a vehicle that is impractical for city use, and horribly expensive to maintain and operate.

People hate to feel they have made a poor decision, so they invent reasons to justify their choices. And an irrational insistence that Prius is not really economical is an easy way to justify their own SUV, which costs them so much for gas.

Again, whenever I talk to people about my Prius, they marvel at what a great car it is, and often express regret that their own car is so inferior.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not many things bother people more than being called out on faulty logic. There are people that would like to think they are doing their most to help the environment, support the troops, etc. Yet they draw the line at owning an SUV or other gass guzzler. They absolutely must have that SUV. The CNW report and other Prius myths allow them to complete the mental gymnastic to justify not owning a Prius. Deep down they know is BS and that angers them.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    First of all it's not hatred! It's opinion.

Why do "Prius" people think SUVs are impractical? Mine was great. I could see better then most drivers, I didn't have to worry about road debris much, and my vehicle could handle just about any weather. The -only- downside was the fuel use.

I'm not saying I don't think my Prius us really really nice, because it is.

What I am saying is don't start thinking the SUV or miniVan owners hate you, because it sometimes appears the opposite is also true.
    Both vehicles have their place.

Prius just happens to be ascending while heavy fuel use vehicles are descending as fuel costs increase.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Awww, they're just jealous! :lol:

I imagine the Hummer H2 is probably more hated than the Pri, so most people seem to have their priorities right.

It doesn't bother me--I just let them think what they want and I try not to brag. I just pretend I'm just driving a normal car.

I still haven't admitted on the "other" board www.colorado4x4.org that my daily driver is a Prius. They still think hybrids are a scam. It's alright.

I've never felt any animosity torward Prii from any other source other than the internet. The only impressions I've gotten in real life are neutral or positive.

Eric

6. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ May 28 2007, 07:27 AM) [snapback]450953[/snapback]</div>
    I think it is pretty strange as well. Rightly or wrongly, I think there are several reasons the car seems to engender hostility. For one, some people honestly believe that it is an elitist car considering the price premium that must be paid for a significant but not dramatic mileage gain. Their point is further supported by the argument that there are ICE cars that get good mileage, e.g. Honda Civic DX, that don't command the same premium and may be easier to maintain and accelerate more quickly regardless of the other design weaknesses. Also, I've seen criticisms of the behavior of hypermilers holding up traffic as they accelerate too slowly for their fellow drivers. Aside from all of the perspectives you pointed out, it doesn't seem to matter if the opinions are supportable or not. Clearly if someone claims that I should purchase a car produced by a company whose corporate headquarters is located in the US, they lack a fundamental understanding of the Amercan economy and multi-national corporations on several levels. I think ultimately these people are responding based on a lot of other emotional factors that you'll never see from their posts. This is after all the internet and any moron that can register on a board has a voice and doesn't have to agree to have a reasoned discussion with you.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There can be a backlash, due to popularity. The Prius has become the poster child of the "we care about the environment and you don't" idea...at least, in the eyes of an SUV owner. It makes them think you're better than them, and they don't like that.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only vehicle type that receives MORE UNdue criticizm is Electric Vehicles. And much of that criticizm comes from hybrid drivers. :(

And yes, I hear this hybrid criticizm in person as well as online.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ May 28 2007, 07:27 AM) [snapback]450953[/snapback]</div>
    And on this... the major downside for me is that I've now sent the "pocket-book" message that I'm happy with a car that still uses gasoline. I've struggled with that one for quite some time. If I buy, does it say, "I want the best, cleanest gasoline vehicle you're making, so please keep working toward ZERO gasoline?" Or does my vote say, "This is exactly what I'm looking for. Please keep making gasoline cars that at least get reasonable mileage?"

For me the Prius is just one small step back toward where we were eleven years ago, and where we should have been 20 years ago. I don't want any car maker to think that I'm satisfied with a teeny tiny bit of electric drive in my gasoline car.

9. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I believe a sizable portion of the population are terrified by the Prius. Remember how many people were scared of computers just a few years ago? People are afraid of hybrids because they are new technology. They are afraid hybrids may put their favorite marque out of business, and they're right.

Harry

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    people are afraid of change. I don't blame them especially since the ICE hasn't really changed in the last 100 years. Most don't realise that hybrids have been around for 10 years.

11. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's not even a car message board. I'll post the link, but you'll have to take out the extra space between the kab and oose - don't want everyone following links back to here!

http://twopeasinabucket.kab oose.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=2254108

It's a scrapbooking site that has lots of non scrapbook stuff, including Prius-bashing. But they've also done lots of other interesting debates, including whether or not crock-pot users are lazy, whether kitten heels should be worn by mothers, and all sorts of other stuff. I've never seen anyone get their panties in a wad more effectively than at that site!

12. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

"Change is bad! change is BAD" says the group of old white guys smoking cigarettes in a small room attempting to control the world!

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EVs have been around much longer than most people realise. Electric vehicles predate both gasoline and diesel motors, and were first produced experimentally in the 1830s. Diesel-electric railway locomotives are hybrids, and largely replaced steam in the 1930s.

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    nothing causes one to talk more loudly and with more assertiveness than JEALOUSY and IGNORANCE.

Never, I repeat, NEVER have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.... :lol:

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the biggest problem is that people just don't understand hybrids. The Prius happens to be the most popular, and thereby the most visible hybrid, so it is going to be the one people tend "bash". I think for the most part that people have a lot of misconceptions about hybrids and turn that misunderstanding into mistrust.

A good example of this happened to me yesterday. We were over at a friends house for a Memorial Day party. Someone commented on the Prius and one of my friends immediately started on a tirade about how stupid it was to own such an untested technology. He also said that he had read that hybrids only get good gas mileage for the first year and that they then revert back to about 30 MPG.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who's father had worked for GM his whole working life and was now reaping the benefits of their generous union health care and pension. My friend had also worked his way through college by working as a night security guard at the local Chrysler plant. So, his general attitude is that any foreign car is crap. Ironically, he drives a Chevy Tracker which is made by Suzuki, but just try to argue the logic of that with him!

16. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 28 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]451045[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. The ignorance is huge.
    Here is a case in point from the Mazda3 board:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=77414.0

I can see if they say handling & looks are not their cup of tea. But then to follow up with a bunch of uninformed 'lies' is just plain stupid.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are a number of powerful tools to help cut through all the intentional slander & misleading that goes on in the WWW (wild, wild, web) land.

This forum is obviously one of them. But unfortunately, you have to be a participant-type personality to even seek out the treasure it provides. Nonetheless, the wealth of information available is spread among a population.

My own website attracts a different type of online inquisitive person, helping to reach further into the general market. The USER-GUIDE is among the most popular features. With over 300,000 downloads, I'm quite pleased and always open to update suggestions (hint hint).

As for the hate itself, that's part of life. Do your best to learn from it.

18. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    offtopic, sorry:
    Hey John. I did download your user guide and found it VERY useful. I was wondering if you could put in pros and cons of inflating the tires on the prius. Also, if you know of a guide similar to yours for the civic hybrid II, that would be nice.

19. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MickeyA @ May 28 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]451052[/snapback]</div>
    That link was quite humorous. I really got a kick out of the guy that posted, "if you want to make a statement, buy a Prius." Where do these people come up with this stuff?

Seriously though, I would love to see some demographics on Prius owners. From my guess, we would tend to be a bit older, well-educated and have household incomes that were above the median. I am basing this on the fact that most of us made a very logical purchase versus an emotional one. You buy a Prius for the benefits, not for the features.

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How is it any different than people saying they want an SUV on here? Remember the thread where someone said that they were dismayed their adult daughter wanted an SUV and the backlash that got, people saying she was selfish and vain and trying to come up with ways that the poster could curtail his adult daughters freedom simply to stop her from buying what she wanted. It was actually quite pathetic. I've been called non-environmental simply because I wouldn't ever choose a Prius as my own car. I've also been called "part of the problem" because I drive a ULEV sedan that gets 25MPG by the members of this board.

On here sometimes it seems ANY model thats not a Prius inspires hatred.

More to your point, I bet that was an american car or SUV forum. I'm active on a Lexus board and on a couple other japanese centered boards and the reaction to the Prius is not that way.