1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do colder temps = less range?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by zcat3, Dec 18, 2008.

1. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have any of you in the cold climates noticed that the Hymotion battery runs down quicker in cold weather? We have been having a cold snap here in the San Francisco area (low to mid 30s at night and maybe 40s during the day) and I have noticed my battery has gone dead the last few days at around 28 miles (I am a highway/ freeway commuter). When the weather was warmer - mid 60s during the day) the battery was good for 33 - 35 miles on the same commute.

2. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    for me no. I never saw 33-35 mi per charge. My commute doesn't allow me that range. I am seeing a decrease in mileage since the ICE is colder, cools off faster (even with a full grill block) and I do like a "little" heat. Today at between 20-30f I got 80MPG. Also the colder temps allow the Hybrid battery to go below 0C and therefore EV will not engage, contributing to the lower mileage.
    Chris