1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do electrical mods affect the system negatively?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ST321, Jun 28, 2013.

1. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For instance, installing or modding:

led lights in cabin
    DRL
    led lights in the back hatch
    HID headlights
    unplugging the VPNS
    changing out lights for ones much brighter
    adding fog lights when there weren't any

etc and so on and so forth... I ask because I'd love to do a bunch of these, but I'm afraid of messing up the 'balance' that Toyota built into the system, and as a result I will have poorer MPG, or the battery will charge more slowly, or there isn't enough juice to power stuff, or fuses will start to be blown, etc...

I am a noob when it comes to the electrical system and Prius' systems, and thus far I haven't seen this even addressed as an issue. Rather than assume that it is not and there will be no compromises after modding, I figured I would ask.

Thanks.

GoldPianoGarden likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While all the electrical load ultimately comes from gasoline, I do not think any of the loads you are planning will have a measurable impact.

HID Lights are illegal on US public roads unless they are factory units, but that does not seem to bother their owners, just everyone else on the roads. HID Kits: What You Need To Know But the many problems with aftermarket HID lighting do not include increased electrical load.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Many of us have done these mods and more with no problems so you have nothing to worry about.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've replaced the interior lights, license plate lights and parking lights with LED's- no problems.
    I've replaced the original halogen low-beams with 50 watt HID's (using a power relay harness from the fuse box)- no problems there either.

5. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone. I had a chance to talk to a service advisor at my dealer today, and he confirmed that there should be no issues. I also asked if these mods would void any warranties, and he said only if the vehicle was brought in for some problem that could be traced back to the mod's presence.

6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice thing w/the HID upgrade- it's plug-n-play into the existing connections. No wire cutting, so if you ever needed to go back to stock halogens for warranty reasons you're looking at a 20min job that puts the system back to 100% factory condition.