1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I get the worst mileage of anybody here ?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So as I mentioned in a recent post, my mileage is definitely worse in town, than on the highway. And because I'm doing very little freeway driving lately, my mileage continues to go down.
    I'm down to 50.6 MPG's, and yea, I've been here long enough to know that someone always points out that what the dash numbers show you are always higher than the actual mileage... So I do not know, maybe I'm getting less than 50 MPG's ?
    I mean, it's still pretty great compared to my F150 (the 5200 lb paper weight)
    But really, is anybody getting this low of mileage with a 2022 XLE ?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How short are your in-town drives? With my previous PP, on very short (less than 5 miles) all on HV (gas only) in cold, did less than 30mpg. Yeah, where you live does not get as cold as where I am. But still, very short trips are hard on fuel efficiency especially when cold.

#2 Salamander_King, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No my wife's 2017 LE is only getting 48-52 mpg....depending on how many longer trips we take in it. She, mostly, takes short trips so the engine runs the whole time just getting up to operating temps.

I've always done the "italian tuneup" for all of our vehicles and really does help keep carbon build-and other issues. (And this is good even for engines in hybrids.)

I used to be of the opinion that when I'm pushing the gas peddle to pretend there's an egg between so only push gently. But, with hybrids, this is true when first starting off but then we should be using the "pulse and and glide" technique.

Watch my favorite Toyota YouTube guy:

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's normal for the cold weather and rain we are currently having. Spring and summer mileage will begin to increase.
    Have you checked your tire pressures? They tend to go down in colder weather; but only accounts for 1-2 mpg.
    A plug-in does a lot better in city driving and If you hit a lot of red lights, that will also kill your mileage. Timing the stop lights and cruising below 45 mph will get you the best city mileage.

5. Ryder99

Ryder99 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    52.x mpg over 13k miles. Mix of highway and city.

Picked the 22 car up in feb

6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    2022 XLE NIGHTSHADE: With cooler weather here in Northwest Illinois and short trips around town we have seen a steady decline in MPG’s from mid 60’s in summer months to low 60’s now (should note we are conservative in our use of electrical equipment and in how we drive). Also, this is displayed mileage since, even though we are retired, we have more interesting things to do than make spreadsheets ;). We did check a couple of tanks manually and found them to be +or- 1 to 2 mpg.

7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    lol

8. orangecones

orangecones Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YMMV, quite literally. My long term average is hanging out pretty solidly at 21.6 km/l over 44k km. That is 50.8 in freedom units. A couple fill-ups I did napkin math on showed that the computer is about 1km/l (2.3 mpg) optimistic. Close enough, I guess.

There are a lot of variables in play, here are mine: 2016 (not that old to be battery degradation just yet), AWD (which means nickel battery, extra weight, extra drain), 17" wheels (more wheel, more moment of inertia), hilly terrain (hills go up, hills go down), and mild weather basically year round.

9. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    This morning's fill-up was the best I've ever got from a tank of fuel: 46.4 MPG.

It's because I have been throwing myself into dangerous I-95 traffic for commuting instead of running a more open highway at higher speeds. The cost of better MPG seems to be putting my car at severe risk of accidents to be in that stop-and-go, slower traffic.

I'm not sure it's worth it.