1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I get to decide if my child is to become a vegetarian, or

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jun 24, 2010.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    feed her meat till she can decide on her own?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am wondering why this is not in Fred's House of Pancakes. It has very little to do with the environment.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How old is the child?

Do you seriously think "meat" is the most nutritious thing you can feed a child? What is your source of nutrition information?

How's this: "I drive an EV most of the time, but I always drive the ICE car when I take the kids to school, because I want them to make up their own mind about transportation." How much sense does that make?

1 person likes this.
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming you and your wife are vegetarians, it makes sense that your daughter is too. She can always 'undecide' later - it's still her choice when she's old enough to make it.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just make sure your child gets the proper nutrition. Children have different requirements than adults.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're the adult. You decide. She decides when she's 18.

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cause eating meat affects the environment via habitat destruction and oil consumption(see BP oil spill).

1 person likes this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the contrary. Many people decide to become vegetarians precisely because of their environmental concerns. Our dietary choices have big implications for land use and consumption of resources.
    For most things in life, that's quite true. But 'little people' usually have pretty clear likes and dislikes when it comes to food. And we're also becoming far more aware of food allergies and sensitivities. Proper nourishment is the issue, not the power struggle of children eating cold mushy peas.

9. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Little people can have their likes and dislikes, but the parents set the rules.

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm with Tom, give her a balanced diet. You can limit the amount of meat you feed your family, because of the environmental impact, but I don't think I would eliminate it all together. You can purchase meat (at Farmer's Markets, for example) that is locally grown, grass fed, and not factory farmed. The meat will be much more expensive than that at the supermarket, but it prices in all the environmental impact that raising livestock incurs. It is also sustainable and helps local farmers.....and that is important.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Purchased in bulk, I've found 'the good stuff' is really no more expensive, and is of far better quality.

12. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest that you educate her as to why you are vegetarian. A google search of "why be a vegetarian" yields pages of reasons. I.E. Conservation of Fossil fuel. It takes 78 calories of fossil fuel to produce 1 calorie of beef protein; 35 calories for 1 calorie of pork; 22 calories for 1 of poultry; but just 1 calorie of fossil fuel for 1 calorie of soybeans. By eating plant foods instead of animal foods, I help conserve our non-renewable sources of energy
    It takes 3 to 15 times as much water to produce animal protein as it does plant protein. As a vegetarian I contribute to water conservation
    No deficiencies. There is no nutrient necessary for optimal human functioning which cannot be obtained from plant food.
    Stance against Factory Farming.. I cannot make a statement against factory farming if I myself eat animals.
    I believe in nonviolence. Slaughter isn't.
    Small sacrifice The sacrifice I make is nothing compared to the animals, its life.
    Best wishes

1 person likes this.
  13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do we just assume that chicken sold at a farmer's market is good? Our farmer's market has a seller with vacuum sealed FDA stamped chicken. I buy their eggs all the time. Don't eat much meat, but I guess, I should probably just try it.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your child is your child. You evidently have embraced vegetarianism for a variety of personal reasons. As a child living with you, your child will have no choice but to be a vegetarian almost by default.

This is not so unlike any ideology. A child being raised by parents with religious beliefs. A child will often go to church every Sunday, if a family goes to church every Sunday...but does that guarantee that that same child will grow up to embrace the same beliefs? No, and personally I don't think it should.

As a person, I think you have the right to be a choose vegetarianism. As a Parent, I think you have the right to encourage this behavior in your child. I even think (as the child grows) you have the right to say, I'm paying the food bill, and so this is the food I'm making available.

To be honest? I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just eat what you eat, make available the food you eat. As your child grows, goes out into the world and is exposed to variety and options, my advice is communicate. Communicate why you have made the choices you have made. Even very young, do not underestimate what a child can understand. Sometimes I think we underestimate the depth of understanding of which even a very young child is capable.

If in the Teens, your child wanted to experiment with "shudder" meat eating? My further advice would be let them. If you impose your will? You almost guarantee an eventual full scale "See Ya At Sizzlers" rebellion.

In the journey from baby, child, adolescent and eventual adult, parents experience an evergrowing diminishing amount of control. You can aim, you can encourage...but most of all be supportive always and communicate. In the short term? Eat what you eat, and don't sweat it.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as a parent, its up to you to expose your child to the options she will have in life. this allows you to give advice, information, etc. this allows the child to weigh the options and make their own decision. i can tell you from experience that trying to push them one way or another is usually an exercise in frustration.

i guess the only thing you need to ask yourself; "do i really want a clone?"

16. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    She's 10 months old and all she can do is sign "more". She won't eat baby food, but anything we cook her, she'll eat.

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I eat meat on occasion. So do I want a clone to eat meat like me, or do I want something environmentally better, arguably morally kinder and ultimately healthier for my child?

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that might be a battle i am not willing to pursue. in my house, i set guidelines. but my child has teeth. force feeding him will only get my fingers bitten

amen!! i get grass raised and finished beef from a farm less than 15 miles from my home total cost just over $4.20 /lb. not a whole lot different than combined price at the store

i have heard many many people say that farm fresh is better. i dont think i have ever tasted the difference. eggs yes, but chicken no. i also look at where my money is going as well.

sure i do go to Costco and get the 10 lb bag that is already, skinned, de-boned and cut into convenient serving sizes. but sometimes paying a little extra for local stuff is good too. granted its mostly produce i buy locally.

we have great corn, berry fruit, mushrooms, etc here

19. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Half the teenagers these days are vegetarian. It shows their individuality. (Yes, I'm kidding)
    Humans have been eating meat and vegetables every since Homo Sapians climbed down from the trees. Some recent scientific studies suggest that it was meat - specifically cooked meat - that made our large brains possible. I would seriously suggest that moral reasons for not eating meat are spurious and that vegetarianism is mainly a fad.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh...I had assumed that you were a full fledged vegetarian yourself.

Hmm...if you think being a vegetarian is enviromentally better, morally kinder and ultimately healthier than why aren't YOU willing to embrace the ideology fully?

You can do what you will do, but as the child grows up? Lot's of luck with "I think YOU should be a vegetarian, but I'm having this steak right now...."

Short adaptive answer: Yes, you can decide that your child will eat vegetarian...but you cannot decide that your child will remain a vegetarian throughout her life.