1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I have a gas leak?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lindsmb22, Aug 5, 2011.

1. lindsmb22

lindsmb22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,
    I got my oil changed last week at a quick change place and filled up my gas tank the next day. A tank of gas always gets me at least 500 miles. I noticed today that I have one bar left on my gas meter and I've only driven 135 miles. Obviously, there is a problem when I only get 1/5 of my normal gas mileage, however my lifetime MPG is still at 45.7. I haven't noticed my combustion engine kicking on more than normal and I don't have any wwarning lights on my dash. Nothing is pooled under my car, I don't smell gas and the oil is full and clean. What do I do? Could the people at the oil service place has simply hit a wire or crossed a line? Do I approach them about it or go straight to the dealer since they will deny any fault on their part. Is there anything I do myself? Thank you for your help and suggestions.

2. lindsmb22

lindsmb22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, I live in Florida with very hot temps especially right now. I do take short trips to work that are 25 mph or less and lots of frequent stopping for traffic. Could I be using that much gas?? An average of 13.5 MPG? Tire pressure is fine and I forgot how to test my 13V battery.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  4. lindsmb22

lindsmb22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the info. I think I understand, I am procedure A and it is not under warranty. Is this something expensive at the dealer and should I go within the week?

5. lindsmb22

lindsmb22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Per the TSB you referenced, "To reset the fuel gauge, follow the steps below.
    A. With the ignition OFF, remove the DOME fuse for 10 seconds.
    B. Replace the fuse, then turn the ignition ON. "

How do I locate the DOME fuse?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius has two major locations for fuses. One is within the main relay/fuse box located behind the driver's side headlamp near the inverter. The other is under the dashboard, near where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. Check your owner's manual for more info.

The DOME fuse is located within the main relay/fuse box. To open that box, press hard on the latch at the front of the box, then pivot the lid up.

An alternative approach is to disconnect the 12V battery negative cable where it connects to the body for a brief period of time, then reconnect.

1 person likes this.