1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do i have dying hybrid battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA, Oct 31, 2019.

1. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2005 prius 2 with 197k miles, so i turned car on and put into reverse when ready came on, pulled out onto my driveway from garage as usual, just couple of seconds later i got red triangle with VSC light on dash and battery status was about half charge, drove for about half a mile not sure what it was and car didnt have regular power, stopped and turned off and waited for a minute and restarted, still had triangle and VSC but battery charge dropped to just 1 pink bar on restart, drove for about a mile and turned off and back on and VSC gone but triangle stayed, kept driving for 10 miles and restarted twice and triangle gone and today turned on ac and get brief triangle with error code something like p1390 or something and googled code and i got engine power lower, cleared codes but battery charged to full rather soon under 5 minutes on 40mph speed and decreased to half in less than 2 minutes, when i start car for the first time and leave it to warm up engine revs between low and high rpm and never stops even after a good 3 to4 minutes and i drive without warm up and breaking increases rpm and slows when accelerated and this engine revs going on for over 2 weeks now, car has around 197k miles on it, what could be the problem, thank u for any help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    tough to be sure, you need to read the codes with toyota tech stream diagnostic software

3. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @bisco i had that problem again and i got code p3190 low engine power with VSC light on and car would not move and i restarted and battery down to 1 bar again and charged quickly to all blue bars but no green bars since it happened a week ago and i am also getting red triangle with problem on the monitor but no DTC written when i turn steering a little left and hold it on long curves and at other random times with no dtc code, i have the cable that has ethernet plug on one end and obd 2 plug on another end and can i use it to connect to my laptop and download a toyota techstream software that i found on google go read the battery status or do u know of any software, closest toyota dealer is atleast 70 miles away so looking at my options, can u help. Thanks.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When was the last time you checked the engine oil level?

If you have the RTD on the dash, there is at least one DTC stored. Time to upgrade your OBD2 scanner options, maybe techstream?

Here is a link that might be useful for that mini-vci cable (if that is what you described having above) : https://blog.obdii365.com/2019/06/06/install-toyota-techstream-v14-10-028-for-mini-vci/

Here is the workup for DTC P3190 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip3190a.pdf

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.