1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I have to buy coolant from Toyota Dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pjsluna, Jan 26, 2007.

1. pjsluna

pjsluna Junior Member

My coolant tank level is a little low. When I read the manual it of course mentions you have to buy the coolant from toyota dealers.

I don't have the manual inside right now but it seems like there are two coolant reservoirs? Do they both take the same coolant?

Do I have to buy coolant from Toyota or are other brands with similar constitutents ok?

Please advise
    Thank you!

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjsluna @ Jan 26 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]381333[/snapback]</div>
    2 reservoirs? There's just one that I saw, and it should have reddish coolant in it. I only use the red stuff from Toyota in all my Toyotas. If it's under warranty they might top it off for free. Maybe the other reservoir you are seeing is for the windshield washer?

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I believe there are indeed two coolant reservoirs, one for the ICE and another for the Invertor [which converts the 201 volt DC from the main traction battery to as high as ~500 volts AC].

In adding coolant to the Prius, I wouldn't mix another brand. The Prius coolants are ultra-long-life. Both ICE and Invertor coolants aren't scheduled for replacement until your reach 100K miles or 120 months.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell you the truth if it's only"a little low" I wouldn't touch it. I believe and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, that the inverter coolant is different from the ICE coolant. I would just let the mechanics look at it when you get the oil changed.

5. pjsluna

pjsluna Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Jan 26 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]381363[/snapback]</div>
    OK To clarify

There are two reservoirs with reddish coolant...one next to the radiator (I ASSume is engine coolant reservoir #4 on picture on page 392 of manual) and one to the left of the HSD drive thingy (that's technical eh?) which is #5 on pg 392 and referred to as inverter coolant reservoir.

Both contain the pinkish fluid....I know its a dumb question but is it the same coolant for both reservoirs?

The one that is at low is the invertor coolant reservoir...

I am happy to buy it from toyota but the dealer is a long ways away and Kragen is right around the corner so I thought I'd ask...

PS....already have done a DYI oil change per directions from your lovely sight!

Thanks again

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For the current model Prius, the coolant in both systems is Toyota SLLC, mixed 50% with distilled water. It may be sold in the bottle at this concentration. Substituting any other fluid type seems inadvisable.

The classic Prius used Toyota type LLC but this can be upgraded to SLLC without any issues, AFAIK.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jan 27 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]381643[/snapback]</div>
    wrong SLLC is pre mixed do not dillute with water.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    don't put the green stuff in. ever. so yeah, you've gotta get the toyota branded stuff.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 27 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]381751[/snapback]</div>
    Oh geez, never ever. The silicates could form a nasty gooey sludge when they encounter the organic acids. Yuck.

It's unclear if a similar coolant like DexCool is compatible. Considering how much is at risk, use the dealer coolant, which is usually sold premixed with deionized water in sealed containers.

10. Mitchell1971

Mitchell1971 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have an 06 Toyota Prius I took the coolant out of mine and used coolant that that that use in a 2015 Honda Accord is that okay

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably not.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Owner's Manual doesn't empatically say you can't use alternate fluids, but after the "or similar" there's a lengthy description of all the factors the alternate fluid should fulfill. Maybe scare tactics, who knows.

upload_2018-5-24_9-44-51.png

If you opt to go back to Toyota fluid, you're now in a bit of a quandry: the "Toyota Super Long Life Coolant" only comes pre-mixed (as far as I know). So if you were to flush the system with water, residual water would dilute the mix when you refill, and by how much is hard to tell.

I'm not sure what the best course would be. Maybe: drain the best you can, all you can. Refill with TSLLC. Drive it a week or two. Repeat.

Some info, mostly over my head:

The Ultimate Coolant Color Guide | Toyota Parts Center Blog

Some discussion here, not fully resolved, as to the compatibility of Honda and Toyota coolant:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80-89-95-toyota-pickup-hilux/317823-difference-between-honda-toyota-coolant.html

Was the Honda stuff you used blue?

#12 Mendel Leisk, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The stuff I have on hand:

IMG_8714.JPG

The fine print, not that helpful:

IMG_8716.JPG

#13 Mendel Leisk, May 24, 2018
  14. Prius7Prime

Prius7Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can probably find the coolant online at https://www.toyotapartsprime.com/ but these types of fluids are considered hazmat from what I understand so there may be issues shipping them out FYI. Hope this helps.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any local dealership would stock it.

16. Prius7Prime

Prius7Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Correct. Dealers should have it available.

17. Petrodollar

Petrodollar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Valvoline Zerex Asian Vehicle Antifreeze / Coolant
    "ZEREX™ Asian Vehicle has been designed to meet the requirements of Asian manufacturers, which specify a silicate free HOAT formula with a phosphate additive to protect their cooling systems from rust and corrosion. Available in both red and blue formulas to better match your Asian vehicle’s specific requirements."
    (Valvoline&trade; ZEREX&trade; Asian Vehicle Antifreeze / Coolant : Product Catalog - Valvoline&reg;)

Product Information Sheets
    (PI Sheets)

Valvoline Zerex Asian Vehicle Blue [Red] Antifreeze Coolant
    (US_VAL_ZXASIANBLUE_AFC_EN.docx - SpringCM)

Napa - Zerex Asian Vehicle Red Ready To Use Antifreeze - 1 gal, ZRX 675130 $14.99
    (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ZRX675130)

Advance / Carquest - ZEREX Asian Vehicle Red Ready-to-Use Antifreeze/Coolant (1 Gallon), 675130 $16.99
    (Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance)

Or Toyota OEM:
    Super Long Life Coolant (1 Gallon)
    00272-SLLC2 $23.43 (Toyota List)
    (
    00272SLLC2 - Super long life cool. Maintenance, fluids, filters, coolant - Genuine Toyota Part
    )

#17 Petrodollar, May 24, 2018
    j12piprius likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How about Honda coolant, any thoughts?

19. Petrodollar

Petrodollar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Only by inference. The Zerex Red and Blue are the same except for the dye color. If Toyota is red and Honda is blue, and the same Zerex is specified for both, then it implies that the Honda coolant is the same or very close to the Toyota. But that is only by deduction. You know, ... ducks, witches, and so on.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be nice if there was a database on compatibility, this comes up quite often.