1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need an extended warranty (Service Contract)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Solkre, May 4, 2011.

1. Solkre

Solkre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2006 Prius w/ 98,000 miles. The previous owner took very good care of this car. It was bought, serviced, and sold to me, all from the largest Toyota Dealership in the Chicago area.

At the time of purchase they sold me a service contract with AUL for 48/mo 85k/miles, all my time. It's covered until 183k miles or 2015.

When I read the contract closely, I found it doesn't cover the Hybrid system at all, only the ICE and other normal powertrain systems. I paid 1,195 for this service contract.

Is this worth keeping, since it ignores the Hybrid system? Are ICE/Powertrain repairs common enough that it's still a worthwhile contract to keep?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not worth it. Get your money back. The Prius is a very reliable car. Put the money in a bank account and it will be there if you ever need to repair the car.

2 people like this.