1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need to buy a gap insurance for my prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gyudaddy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

I don't know where to post insurance related issue. Hope this is the right place.

I'm finishing my loan today and like to know about the gap insurance. As far as insurance goes, I have $250 deductable and max coverage of everything. When I got preapproved for my car loan, my credit union told me to consider buying a gap insurance. I know Prius' used value is not a whole lot different from a new car's value, and if I understand right, in any worst case (totalling my car), my insurance company will pay for the current used value of 06 prius.

Gap insurance sounds good, but to get prius, I really had to give up something I got used, so I don't want to buy it. Do you guys think I need to buy a gapinsurance? (I paid about 25% for a downpayment.) Can you guys help me?

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I don't understand your second paragraph. Gap insurance is usually bought by people who are 'upside-down' on their loan, meaning the totaled value of the car is less than owed. Gap insurance would cover that difference. Your down-payment puts you out of that category, so gap insurance has NO value to you, today.

There is a wrinkle to this, though. Lets say you own the car for awhile before the big accident, and collect a couple of dings along the way. When your car is appraised, those dings will reduce your car's value -- perhaps to below what you owe. That difference would be paid by gap insurance.

Would I buy it ? Hell no. Do I think it is reasonable for you to buy it ? Very doubtful.

3. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Thanks EricGo.
    I am leaning towards to what you said. Since I paid 20%+ as a downpayment, I don't think i'll get upside down. Sorry that I was not clear enough but you got my point.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i agree, there's no point to gap insurance- especially if you put down a good sized down payment on the car.

we put nothing down and still only were upside down for about 8 months (with a 6 month payment deferment!) so i don't think you have anything to worry about.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never heard of gap insurance in 40 years of driving. It sounds like a way to line Insurance companies' pockets. I have bought extended warranties, and gotten my $ worth from them, but gap insurance? No.

6. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Thank you for all the replies. I just finished my loan paperwork, and I didn't buy gap insurance. I'm glad everyone in PC is backig each other up. For the extended warranty, I'll probably purchase here.

7. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just to add my 2 cents. I did take out gap insurance, it was offered to me by both my credit union and my insurance company. I took it out through my insurance company ( Amica Mutual- great company, always highest rated by Consumer Reports)- it cost less than $25.00 for the whole YEAR ( not a typo - the whole year)

8. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Wow $25 would be a nice deal. The cheapest I got offered was around $300,which is why I didn't take. My insurance co. is GEICO, which doesn't offer the gap insurance. I start thinking that I'm not really saving a whole lot using GEICO. Besides, when somebody bumped my car last time, GEICO told me to solve the problem on my own. I may look for another insurance co.

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Jul 10 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]284079[/snapback]</div>
    That would be $25 wasted every year in the OP's case because he is not upside-down on his loan now, and will in all likelihood never be.

The entire notion of gap insurance is silly in today's loan environment in the US. People with upside-down loans simply roll the debt into their next car purchase as a matter of course. OP put down ~ 20%, so he is not even *close* to belonging to the financialy foolish group who are the somewhat legitimate prey of gap insurance: those buying expensive consumer goods on debt without personal financial reserves *and* lousy credit.

10. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

I have gap insurance on my car because it only cost $250.00 for the entire 84 month loan, and because, the value of a 2006 Prius is likely to take a big dip when the 2009 "100 MPG" Prius hits the streets. Thats only 3 years away.

11. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Although I am purchasing my car, info for car value from the Automotive Lease Guide is what most dealers base depreciation on. Our Prii lose about 23% in the first year. Inexpensive gap insurance is certainly worthwhile for the first few years of ownership to cover this difference just in case. It can be dropped when no longer necessary. Some of us may not be wealthy enough to put down large down payments or our credit is so good that the interest rate on the car is better than on most other things so we take out longer loans

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

JennJay, when is the last time you saw a used '06 Prius on a dealer lot for 30% off msrp (20% + dealer markup)?

Me neither.

13. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The problem is if you get in an accident, what the insurance company gives you for the car may be very different from what it can be sold for. Enough said

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Jul 11 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]284289[/snapback]</div>
    That is not the problem at all. Compensation is according to fair market value. NOT what you can sell it for; but what it will cost you to replace in kind. You find that out by finding a car similar to yours for sale -- at a dealer.