1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need to go to the dealer I sold car of to the one close to me if there are problems?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Chris MM, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Chris MM

Chris MM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am shopping for 2018 Prius Prime Premium here in Santa Cruz, CA. The local dealer makes an offer which is a bit higher than another dealer 25 miles away. I hear about problems especially with the infotainment and tablet. If there are problems, do I need to go the the same dealer I bought the car from or can I go to the local dealer? Many thanks!

bisco likes this.
  2. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You may use any local Toyota dealer. I bought mine about 60 miles from home as the local dealer didn't stock them in March of last year. When it was due for its first service I took it to my local dealer. No problem. I assume that the dealers make a fair profit on warranty service from Toyota so they will be pleased to take care of you. Concerning the infotainment system: It seems to be as reliable as any other vehicle's. The problem is that most users would prefer a different system than the one that comes with the car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can buy from any dealer

you can get warranty from any dealer

you can get service and repairs outside warranty from any dealer

dealers prefer and profit more from service than sales, even warranty service

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only thing you have to see a dealership for post-sale, is warranty/recall work, and yes, it can be any dealership. That's not to say you should never use them for service: it's your call, depends on what you're getting done, your level of mechanical competence, alternate mechanic options in your area, and so on.

For example, I do oil changes and brakes myself, that sort of thing, but I brought it into dealership for an air conditioning inspection/recharge.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do I need to go to the dealer I sold car of to the one close to me if there are problems?
    You have that the other way around.....
    There will be problems if you go to the dealer that sold you the car.

A couple of things:

Dealerships principally have three profitable moving parts: Sales, Finance, Service.
    You pretty much have to buy a new car from a new car dealer.
    Because they are so disreputable, and so profitable they are politically powerful.
    There are actually laws that protect their right to screw people over in buying a car.
    Ask a quiet, humble, little-known dude named Elon about that!
    However (comma!!) there are NOT laws guaranteeing the exclusivity of finance or service....and believe it or not you will get a much more competitively priced product from a company that cares much more about the consumer if you finance your car purchase from the heartless scrooges down at Wells Fargo, BOA, or Chase than you will from Moe the Finance Guy down at the dealership.
    Big Banks do not do this because somebody down at HR screwed up and allowed morally upright people to get through the screening process.
    They do it because they want to STAY big banks!
    They DO IT because of competition.
    They know that customers will shop around for the cheapest rates on basically the SAME PRODUCT.
    (see the correlation?)
    I like Credit unions or small to regional sized banks - and I always arrange my financing AND sell (or keep) my usta-car BEFORE I go to the stealer.

If you live in a place where gas is more than $2 a gallon, then more people are going to drive Primes, and what dealerships lack in morals, they make up for in greed and cunning.
    You will nearly ALWAYS get a better deal on ANY car if you shop around.
    I always used to get a really REALLY good deal on my cars and car loans BECAUSE I shopped around.
    People do it with gas....home mortgage rates...toys for the kids...etc.
    Why not take advantage of the this same thing with one of the costliest things that you will ever buy besides a house?

Warranty.
    You do not have to have a dealer sell you a car, work on the car, etc....'for the warranty.'
    Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia
    finally....

D.
    Service.

All of the rules that apply to financing and sales also apply to service.
    -ish.
    One of the bad things about service is that you really DO benefit from having the people with the hammers and wrenches closer rather than farther away.
    But....
    One of the good things about living in Prius Country is the fact that there are probably some really great service centers in your area if you're one of the few people that keep their cars long enough to really need a mechanic.
    If you do not do your own maintenance, then you're going to have to TRUST the person that does!
    I lean away from dealerships from this, but I might be overly prejudiced from having been doinked over by them so many times.
    There might actually be a fair and competent mechanic somewhere that works for a dealership that LETS them be fair.
    Of course....there might also be unicorns and yeti too....
    What can I say?
    Prejudices are powerful emotions....

The car comes with a schedule of maintenance.
    No matter what maintenance philosophy you practice:
    Read it.
    Follow it.

Pro tip:
    Neither YOUR dealer, nor ANY dealer needs to do any of these maintenance items!
    ;)

You'll have 5,000 miles from the time that you sign your life away until the first maintenance checks are due on your new car.
    That will be plenty of time to develop a strategy to make sure that a car that you may be buying to save a little money.....will wind up saving you a lot MORE money!

GOOD LUCK!

#5 ETC(SS), Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just be careful with comparing prices that appear to be lower.

Just a tiny difference in interest rates can add up to big bucks over the course of a long term loan.

The price that appears to be lower might not be in the end.