1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

do I need to have car level for A/T fluid change(refill)?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by The Big Sleaze, Dec 14, 2023.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I had it on 4 equal jacks the first time but I think I'd like to just raise the front only on a pair of 3-ton jacks that give max of about 17in.
    Will the A/T refill be OK? Before I get under and eyeball it, is the A/T fill way to the back of A/T so maybe it wouldn't fill all the way if only front is raised or is it about in middle?

PS-also planning a change of both coolants, but not too worried if level not exactly right because thermostat and levels can be topped off without crawling under the car.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I checked the Repair Manual instruction, and the fill hole is at the back corner, so having only the front raised will definitely reduce the amount you can pour in.

It's a bit of an oversight that the RM makes no mention of the car needing to be level; I think they disregard the DIY factor, assume this is happening in a shop with a full lift.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  3. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    thx, good to know. fortunately I got 4 jacks, was just thinking maybe would create more room under the car if angled.
    I'm paranoid about not fully filling an A/T with AFT after I thought I'd filled a leaking old Oldsmobile and dipstick read "Full" at idle but I didn't cycle it through the gears, so the only thing that was full was the T-converter donut.

Mendel Leisk likes this.