1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need to mod in order to use the bike rack I want?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Rotom, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Rotom

Rotom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've been looking into bike racks for my 2012 C3, and have settled on the only style I'm personally comfortable with - the rear attaching one. Roof racks are expensive, loud, unwieldy and (if you're forgetful) easy to get into trouble with; installing a hitch and hitch rack comes with another slew of things I'd prefer to avoid. Problem is, both the local Toyota dealership and the local bike shop have said that using a rear attaching rack will put awkward stress on the C3 due to the overhanging fin on the top of the hatchback, which could cause denting and - at worst - break off the fin altogether.

So, taking it as a fact that I'm totally set on using this style of bike rack, is there a good kit out there that works well with the C in terms of minimizing damage or risk? Or will I need to mod my car by removing the fin? Is that feasible, or advisable?

Any advice or knowledge you good folks have to share is greatly appreciated.

2. Bill Lohman

Bill Lohman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My fin came off very easily (intentionally removing it). I'd say to just get the rack, pull the fin off and attach the straps that would have normally run OVER the fin, replace the fin (over the straps), and then proceed to installing the rest of the rack. I'm presuming that STRAPS attach to the top though. If it's a solid member that attaches up top, I'm not as sure. I'd think that you could position the straps so they pass under the voids in the fin, instead of running them under the attachment points at the ends or directly under the 3rd brake light.

Good Luck