1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need to run out of gas again to see if the tank really holds 11.9 gallons?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CarlsbadKiter, Aug 17, 2006.

1. CarlsbadKiter

CarlsbadKiter New Member

I ran out of gas last week in the Prius with 468 miles on the tank and getting a computer average of 46 miles per gallon.

It says the gas tank holds 11.9 gallons so figured I could go well over 500 miles on the tank easy. I was on the last bar, which was blinking when I ran out. When I filled it up, only 10.95 gallons went in (without over filling), so was a bit perplexed on two accounts—tank size and accuracy of mpg computer. If calculated on the tank fill-up, I was getting 43 miles per gallon. Apparently that computer readout resets automatically every 2.6 gallons. Still wondering about the tank size so may have to run out of gas to try and see if I can squeeze in 11.9 gallons. When I filled the tank, I was on level pavement and the temperature was around 70 degrees.

Do I need to run out of gas again to see if the tank really holds 11.9 gallons?
    :(

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CarlsbadKiter @ Aug 17 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]304717[/snapback]</div>
    This is sort of a loaded question... I've managed to cram in as much as 12.5 gallons, basically, right until some gas spilled out. I've got a pic. on here somewhere of the pump showing 11.6 gallons... doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it gives you a perspective nonetheless...

3. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CarlsbadKiter @ Aug 17 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]304717[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you can if you want, I suppose. But I wouldn't.

The fuel tank has a bladder which expands and contracts. So the tank almost never holds exactly 11.9 gallons.

There are actually dozens of posts here about running out of gas and the consensus is:
    When the car says it's low on gas, fill it up!

Take that blinking dot on the fuel gauge seriously. Or do like we do and just fill up when it's convenient once you're down to a couple of dots.

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

My biggest fillup was 11.24 gallons. I have never run out, or even driven more than about 5 miles on the blinking dot.

I guess if you need to know if the tank holds 11.9, you may have to run it out. I don't really need to know, so my best is 11.24.

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The tank is able to hold 11.9 Gal, but if you only fill up it till it clicks, you won't be at the capacity. I can usually get another gallon to 1.5 gallons of fuel into the car after it clicks.

I've gone 1001km at 4.5L/100km. So the capacity is definitely there.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the joys of having a bladder in your gas tank, see this google search results page, searching only PriusChat and using the words "gas" and "bladder."

And I can generally get two or more extra gallons in my tank after the pump clicks off.

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CarlsbadKiter @ Aug 17 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]304717[/snapback]</div>
    One shouldn't run out of gas in any car, the Prius included. Especially not in order to prove a point to oneself or others, such as being able to put xx.x gallons into the tank on a fuel-up. Otherwise you risk permanently damaging the car and/or its hybrid components (per the manual). :blink:

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    when the car says you need to add fuel, it's best to believe the car rather than decide for yourself how much gas is left in there.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CbK, forget your experience with past cars. Because of the tank bladder you will never know exactly how much gas is in the tank, until the past pip starts flashing. Then you can be very confident that you are about to run out. (The MPG display is accurate because it counts each opening of a fuel injector; it does not measure changes in the fuel level in the tank.)

10. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

1 pip...fill up. flashing pip..fill up. remember, 99.99% of running out of gas incidents are caused by a defect in the nut behind wheel.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 17 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]304736[/snapback]</div>
    so I could've gone past that when it read 4.2L/100km on mine? I only pushed it to 840.7km. (blinking at 820km)

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 17 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]305168[/snapback]</div>
    Depending on how much you put in before. If you put 10.1 into a shrunken bladder, it's not going to magically become 11.9 even if you suspect residue.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    32.921 litres (709.2kms not on blinking light) from the tank before.

The 840.7km tank, I added 37.366 litres

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've read reports that unless you're moving vigorously (sloshing the fuel around the bottom of the tank), you can't pump the last gal. or so of fuel out of the tank. Some who have run out found adding 1 gal didn't help them get it started. They had to add two gal. before it started again.

This makes sense re your experience.

BTW, this gal. of fuel you can't use in the bottom of the tank is not a bad thing. This is where you will find any water that got in, any dirt that got in, etc.

Further, running out of fuel is not good for the fuel pump, which is cooled by the fuel it pumps. Each time you run out, it will be overheated for a short time before it shuts off.

15. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 17 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]304762[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 17 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]304764[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Aug 17 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]304933[/snapback]</div>
    These folks who abuse their cars like this are the ones that will scream loudest when there is a malfunction!

16. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: **SIGH** What is this fascination with running the Prius fuel so low? Makes no sense to push your luck particularly with the potential problems that "out of fuel" in a Prius can cause.

I treat my Prius like any car I've owned. I add fuel BEFORE lack of fuel could become a problem. In my Prius, usually at the last UN-BLINKING blip. Most often, I note the fuel prices and fill at one of the lowest I've seen.