1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I really need a new fuel tank and Charcoal canister?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kjudy11, Oct 27, 2009.

1. kjudy11

kjudy11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2001 Prius has had some trouble. After starting a little rough all the indicator lights came on. The car stayed in battery mode until I turned off the key and then restarted it. However, all the indicator lights stayed on for about a day. The Toyota service center said I needed a new gas tank and charcoal canister. I've already spent $6,000 in repairs this year(new battery, oxygen sensor, and catalytic converter). Now they want another $1,650.
    The money I saved on gas (150,000 miles) is long gone...What should I do?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you restart the car three times, it clears the indicators. Is this what happened?

Where is the car now?

Did you have to tow it to the dealer?
    What code(s)?

Bob Wilson

3. kjudy11

kjudy11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha! That's one of my answers. I've always thought the indicator lights turn off after a period of time. Now I know it's just the number of times you restart the car. Thank you:)
    The car is with me but the problem may be growing. I've had the same thing happen two more times. I just can't afford $1650.
    I wonder if I can replace the charcoal canister myself without putting in a whole new fuel tank...? And if I don't address this issue how long can I go before the car won't move...?

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This has all the earmarks of TSB EG011-03, which is available somewhere on priuschat. Depending on the diagnostic results, a new hybrid vehicle ECU or a fuel pump relay or the whole fuel tank assembly needs replacing. Or some combination.

The first step is to get the diagnosis done correctly. If only the HV ECU is needed, several people have successfully postponed it by cleaning throttle body and the throttle butterfly in particular. The ECU is actually the easiest thing to do youself, but you need the correct (most recent) part #. The fuel pump relay could also be DIY. The fuel tank assembly - probably not, but it is surprsingly not expensive (like $300). The charcoal canister is not a separate item.

But you see I am arguing ahead of the data here. We still need to know the code(s)

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    After you get the codes, recall that 'new' is not the only kind of parts for a 2001.