1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I Really Need This Part?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kenmce, Nov 17, 2006.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm looking to mount an inverter near the battery in my '01 Classic. The battery is tucked away in a little compartment to the left of the trunk. There is a black plastic tube in there over the battery. It comes out easily. Its normal function is to conduct air back and forth between these points:

Air vent from trunk to somewhere inside the rear bumper. Lets air out when you slam the lid. I put a grill over this to keep the mice out.

Air vent between tube and trunk, has camoflauged trunk end.

Pass air in? out? of air exhaust plumbing for traction battery

It seems to me that I could remove it and let the air flow back and forth through the whole space in there, not just through the tube. Then I could use some of that space to mount the inverter and not have it take up trunk space. It would also be hard to steal since it would be invisible.

What do people think?

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenmce @ Nov 17 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]351304[/snapback]</div>
    Don't ditch it.
    It is either to keep the battery the corrct temp. so it won't fail, and/or it is to keep vent gasses of explosive hydrogen from building up in the car. Grill to keep out mice was a great idea.

3. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    kenmce, please keep all of that HV battery ventilation ductwork in place and add an inverter in that general vicinity. Yes a slight loss of trunk volume, but you will find yourself thinking up ways to use 110 volts ac. There are some instructions posted on doing this type of installation.

5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that black tube is for the HV battery vent, leave it, a nice place to bolt a inverter on is on top where the speakers are u put it upside down or something, i would make a little outlet in the back seat where the speakers are, that would be cool.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Statultra, another good place for a 110 vac outlet in classic Prius is on the backside of the central plastic console, under the cupholders. Unbolt the console and look underneath; you will find just enough room to install it safely.

It is not difficult to 'snake' wire under the rear carpet to that location, but use heavily insulated wire because your rear seat passengers are going to be stepping on it for years. Gray color outlets are available and match nicely.

Inverters are available with remote controls that can be worked into the vacant switch positions left lower dash.

Modified sine wave inverters have been most often used, but there are sources for 1000-watt pure sine wave in the $300 price range. Adding separate fuse for the inverter is good safety practice. I started with a 100 amp ANL fuse, but after reading about how much overload they require to melt, I moved down to 60 amp and have not melted that one yet. Keeping the Prius' 100-amp main fuse happy is #1 priority.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall reading a pictorial from someone who mounted an inverter
    on a hinged piece of plywood that bridges across that pocket in the
    side of the trunk when it's installed -- holds the inverter vertically
    [the way it wants for ventilation], keeps it tucked neatly out of
    the way, and allows mounting the outlets and monitoring lights and
    fuses and such along with. No interference with the battery ducts.
    This was in a Classic, too. Now, if I could only remember where the
    heck I read this...
    _H*

8. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 26 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]354292[/snapback]</div>
    I was out there this afternoon doing that very thing, and my
    inverter just does not fit. I carry unlikely things in my trunk and
    it needs to be protected. I are not happy! I spent a fair amount
    of time laying on my back, in the trunk, holding the inverter up
    against the ceiling as statultra suggested, debating what to do now.
    I won't leave it loose, if it broke loose in an acident and killed me
    they'd just naturally have to put "Died Of Stupid" on my grave,
    and that would not make me happy.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hobbit, Bob Wilso did the plywood inverter mount.

Kenmce, remove all that gray carpeting on the side and you will (hopefuklly) find enough room. What are the dimensions of that inverter?