1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do-it-yourself changing oil on the 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by steve10brink, Dec 9, 2003.

1. steve10brink

steve10brink New Member

In looking through the owners manual on my new 2004 Prius I could not find anything about changing the oil yourself. Has anyone done this yet and, if so, are there any extra things to do? Is the oil filter difficult to remove?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a couple things...
    Word is that the filter is no problem.
    There is a special 'crush washer' that you need, and you'll need to get the right filter, of course.

John1701A documented his experience with his own oil change on the 2004-YG

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/2004-p...s/message/18321
    --evan

3. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have changed my oil already - went to Mobil 1 synthetic- and it is one of the easiest cars I have done. The filter is the same one used on the Corolla and Echo, Toyota 90915-YZZA2. You may notice a slight difference in the mounting end of the filter from one you buy here and the Japanese one that comes on the car. Parts dept. said that US made filter is slightly different at the mounting end but it is the right one to use. I'd recommend using only genuine Toyota filters, at least during your 60K engine warranty period. Also, save your oil receipt and mark the mileage and date in a maintenance log book. I am going to install a Fumoto drain valve on mine. This is a neat little valve that eliminates the possibility of stripping out the threads on the oil pan plug. Be sure to replace the 'crush washer' on the drain plug. It is designed for single use and may leak if not replaced.

While you're under the car, take a look at how well sealed all the components are underneath. The build quality of the Prius is beautiful!

4. green4evr2003

green4evr2003 New Member

Changing Oil: Soo-o-o-o, can anyone please post the number of the American-manufactured (well, China, Mexico, Sri Lanka, etc.) replacement oil filter?

Bruce Webster
    Green4evr2003

5. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    90915-YZZA2

6. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

Jerry P...

"...I am going to install a Fumoto drain valve on mine..." Jerry, have you installed the Fumoto Drain Valve on your Prius yet? I wonder how it looks after you installed it, whether the lever is in an ideal position so as to not get knocked on with rocks and such. Please keep us posted.

I am seriously considering the purchase of the Fumoto valve.

Thanks,
    Tony.

7. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Yes...I put it on Saturday. My oil level was a little too high so I drained it all and installed the valve. The angle of the drain hole is ideal. The valve does not extend much below the level of the oil pan and the handle is pointed towards the back of the car so stones and road debris shouldn't affect it. It locks in place anyway so I don't think there would be a problem anyway. I think it's a good investment.

8. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

Jerry P...

Thanks for the response. If you can snap a picture to show us, that will be great!

9. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Fram sells a Gizmo for+/- $12 that purports to do the same thing. When the weather gets warmer here I will look into it. Peace, Ammiel

10. FredWB

FredWB New Member

The Fumoto sounds like a great deal. Especially when the gasket is $3.99 each! Do you have to order the valve online?

11. green4evr2003

green4evr2003 New Member

Where can I purchase the Fumoto drain valve? Is the "gizmo" mfd by Fram a suitable replacement or is it a CHEAP imitation?

12. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Fumoto.com is their site. I haven't seen them in any auto parts stores. The Fram item might be just as good but Fumoto has a reputation as being the best so I went with them.

13. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe their website is fumotovalve.com, not fumoto.com.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > John1701A documented his experience with his own oil change on the 2004-YG

Hopefully with my next oil change in 1,850 miles I'll be able to add photos to my documentation. Doing that the first 2 times with my 2004 was completely out of the question... in an unheated garage during this winter here in Minnesota.

It's pretty darn easy, once you see where everything is and what tools are needed.

15. green4evr2003

green4evr2003 New Member

Finally found the Fumotovalve.com web page. Can someone please tell me which is the corect model number?

Bruce Webster

16. Doug

Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it the F103 Fumoto valve that you bought? I just want to make sure I order the right one since their web page didn't say for a Prius exactly. Changing the oil to synthetic by myself should cost less than $20.00 but having the dealer do it would be over $50.00 I believe.
    Is the oil filter by Toyota better than a Fram?

17. green4evr2003

green4evr2003 New Member

Doug: My last posting was a question. I was trying to find out which Fumoto drain valve is the correct one. So far no one has answered my post.

Bruce Webster

18. green4evr2003

green4evr2003 New Member

This one's for FredW8 regarding the necessity of purchasing the crush washer - I trust that's what he was talking about when he referred to a price of $3.99. I bought a replacement filter for my '04 Prius the other day and they gace me the crush washer at no cost. The filter was just a trifle over $5.00.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Last time I bought the crush washer I paid $0.99 per at Tustin Toyota.

I need to do a change today. Going to try a Fram Tough Guard filter - but I need to get the crush washer. Anyone tried changing and reusing the old washer?

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr\";p=\"76273)</div>
    Not I. Obviously not the recommended thing, but if you are willing to look down there afterwards to confirm not dripping, you may get away with it (just this once). Please do not overtorque the drain bolt to compensate.

Um, if you are going out to buy this Fram filter, ask them for a fiber washer that is about 11 mm inside and about 20 mm outside.