1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

do my break disk need replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by padro2007, Apr 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. padro2007

padro2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hello experts,
    I have been advised that all 4 break disks in my Prius 2007 needs urgent replacement. It has come as a shock as previous year, when the car was fully serviced, absolutely no advice was given. attaching pictures of all 4 break disks. need your expert advice please.

Thanks
    Padro IMG_4606.JPG IMG_4607.JPG IMG_4608.JPG IMG_4609.JPG

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • How thick are the disks?
    • How many miles on Your Prius?
    • How thick are the brake pads?
    • What did the report last year state?
    Keep us posted (y).

padro2007, edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like Ray said:

You must be at a dealer. Those BRAKE rotors don’t look that bad at all surface wise.

Why are you chasing brake issues? If your at the dealer and there just “checking” the brakes usually that means there getting you ready for surgery on your wallet. A full walletectomy will soon be indicated.

There checked your patient history and saw you sit still for a “full service” already. That tells them there’s still gold left in there.

padro2007, Raytheeagle and scona like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did they say why they need replacement? Nearing minimum thickness? If you're not feeling any pulsation, thickness would be the issue, runout should be fine. Instruction for checking the fronts is in the attachment. Unforunately it's North American Repair Manual, has instruction for drum brake rears.

Anyway, new thickness for fronts is 22.0 mm, and service limit is 20.0 mm. You can check with 0-25 mm micrometer, or caliper in a pinch.

upload_2018-4-27_11-0-38.png

Attached Files:

padro2007 likes this.
  5. padro2007

padro2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks very much for your kind advice.

The garage owner advised that rear break disks(pic 1 and pic 4) are corroded. The front ones ( pic no 2 and 3 above) are in critical condition because thickness is below the minimum, level. He suggested to replace all immediately. I did enquire how much time do I have ( i.e. 3 days, 1 week) before I could replace? He advised especially the front ones needs to be replaced immediately. He also advised that he will write on invoice 'Car not fit to drive on road' if I decide to take the car out. It got me really worried.
    Since I got really worried, I could not argue and negotiate and ended up getting all 4 break disks replaced.. costed around £300 towards parts charges.;

later after reading advice from Mendel above, I called the Garage again and enquired about the thickness.The Garage Owner informed that thickness was around 19 mm for front ones and around 9 mm for rear ones. I didn't have any choice but to agree. I have done around 8K miles since last MOT in April 2017.

Feeling ripped off and disappointed for not acting wisely but then will be more careful next time

Many thanks all

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @padro2007 FWIW, this is third generation rear disc brake rotor spec, it might be close:

upload_2018-5-5_9-29-44.png

Again, attachment has more info.

Attached Files:

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rotors are not that expensive? At least not on our side of the pond. Well, they don't grow on trees either, but reasonable. If your fronts are at 19mm that's under spec. Again, not sure about second gen rear rotors.