1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Not Use Cruise Control in Rain

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Dec 15, 2008.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    DRIVING ON WET ROADS
    verified on snoops.com.

NEVER KNEW THIS BEFORE...
    I wonder how many people know about this? A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore , Texas she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!
    When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.
    But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.
    The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry.
    The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries.
    If you send this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life.
    NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on.

Atifwah likes this.
  2. Tchou

Tchou Member

so I you put the cruise control ON when raining, your car instananeously transform in an airplane and accelerate to 150MPH for take off ????

3. shtinkypuppie

shtinkypuppie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    First, it seems the author should have used "cruise control" rather than "traction control" in the thread title.

Second, there is some truth in this very poorly written anecdote. Your car is not going to take off like a rocket, but the cruise control would start applying more power as the wheels started to slip, which would only worsen the wheelslip. Look up "cruise control in rain" on www.snopes.com

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe this is spam due to the urging to share it with 15 people.
    I thank the OP for using the seniors font size although I have reading glasses which help a lot.
    It is more important to have good tyres on your car in wet conditions. If your tyres are marginal at the start of the wet season where you live be that winter in the north or south of the tropics or summer in the tropics and places near, replace them and use quality tyres from a manufacturer you trust. I have found aquaplaning only happens with worn or poor quality tyres.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Any vehicle with 4 wheel speed sensors (incl. Prius) could make an excellent CC cancellation feature in software. There is a lot of incipient technology in these areas.

In the meantime I agree that wet roads require careful driving w or w/o cruise control. Tires with less than 4 mm tread depth tend to lose wet traction very quickly, and note that the wear bars are way down at 1.6 mm.

Can you read this Pat?

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes thanks.

I'm still wondering about this amazing force which accelerates a car which is in a traction compromised state. The 2 times I experienced serious aquaplaning I had very low tread and was going up a hill where the water was coming down the tyre grooves in the bitumen which was overdue for resurfacing. I was in my Camry and on loosing traction the car actually stopped accelerating even though the wheel speed went up. With cruise on the cruise control would sense the increase in revolutions of the wheels and close the throttle, how can that hurt?

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is snoops.com similiar to snopes.com?

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    95% of the time, these chain letters are always urban legends, and the "verified by snoops.com (sic)" was a clincher. However, this is that one rare time where it is indeed true.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why do people pass this rubbish down the chain. It wastes peoples' time, including the time of the person fooled into passing it along.

This particular one is mostly BS. The car will not accelerate when it loses traction, nor will it fly into the air. How could it. Let's look at this logically:

1) Flying into the air - There is nothing you can do with a normal car to make it fly into the air while driving down a flat section of road. Mashing the accelerator to the floor won't make it fly. Hitting the brakes won't make it fly. A hard turn could cause a roll-over, particularly with an SUV, but I don't really consider that flying. To fly, the car needs to hit something, jump a ramp, or go off a cliff.

2) Sudden acceleration from losing traction - Let's say your car loses traction on ice. What happens when you mash down the gas pedal? The engine races, but your car doesn't go any faster. That's what happens with older cruise control. The car loses traction and starts to slow down, so the cruise control commands more gas. The additional gas makes the tires spin, but the car continues to slow. In response, the cruise control tries harder with more gas. The engine will race, but not the car. Note that this works only if the cruise control speed feedback comes from wheels other than the driven ones.

This cruise control problem is in reality a potential control risk. With an older design, the car can lose traction and the cruise control can cause the driving wheels to spin, exacerbating the problem. A quick tap on the brake pedal or CC button will fix the problem, but that assumes the driver isn't frozen by fear.

So there is a grain of truth behind this urban legend. You need to be extra vigilant driving in adverse conditions, and you may want to disengage cruise control to avoid being surprised. On the other hand, with a modern car like the Prius, the control system is smart enough to avoid this problem. Traction control, and VSC (if you have it), will modulate the power output to help avoid these loss of traction situations.

Tom

10. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Every cruise control design I have heard of uses the speedometer take-off which is from the transmission (i.e. the driven wheels).

The engine will not speed-up or race if traction is lost, it will just maintain the speed of the wheels as before.

kevin

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exactly, and that is true even with the older designs. Maintaining the speed of the wheels can still cause a loss of traction as the vehicle slows down, but it's no worse than pulling your foot off of the gas on slippery roads.

Mostly this is a problem because of surprise. When a car does something unexpected, people tend to freak out. That's why you need to be familiar with your car and how it works.

Tom

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Assuming a 5 knot headwind, how fast would you need to be traveling in a Lincoln Town Car before you "take off like an airplane"?

If I find one for really cheap someday, I might want to test this out for myself. :madgrin:

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a certain Le Mans racer that could take off. The landings weren't very smooth, though. That's Toyota's GT1 in front.
    [ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1252498464502394753"]1999 Le Mans[/ame]

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a car with just CC will maybe to this
    but the prius will automaticly drop out off CC when the VCS kicks in.

15. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Do you think the cruise control was on? It was raining. Would a Lincoln Town Car take off at that speed?

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think a Lincoln Town Car would ever get to that speed. Maybe if it was dropped from an airplane....

17. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I apologize to those I offended by posting this message. I got it in an email late last night. Didn't read it carefully or take the time to edit out the portion about sharing it with others making it sound like spam.
    Its raining throughout the day in Southern Calif. Anyone care to go test this theory?

18. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, the snopes article said that the woman was driving a Lincoln Town Car......I never would have guessed that they could generate much lift at any speed, but she said it "took off like an airplane". I would think that even if you had an airplane wing installed, it would still be difficult to get it airborne, but I'm not an aeronautical engineer.

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With or without JATO bottles?

Tom

20. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Whatever it takes to get it airborne.