1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Prius Owners drive more because of good mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenMachine, Nov 10, 2005.

?
  1. Less than 10,000 miles

37.5%
  2. 10,000-15,000

25.0%
  3. 15,000-20,000

25.0%
  4. 20,000-25,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 25.000-30,000

12.5%
  6. More than 30,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does great gas mileage actually translate into more miles per year? Do you drive the long way home to get that mpg higher? Do you take more trips than you might in your non-hybrid? Are Prius miles guilt free?

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps I should have had only three choices "Is your annual mileage in your Prius A. more B. the same or C. less than you used to drive?"

Comments would be welcome since the way I constucted the answers might not get to the real issue.

3. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I agree, miles per year probably wasn't the best way to ask the question, especially since we can't see if they are driving more miles than usual... I like your second list a lot better!

I HAVE driven my car a little more than normal, but so far I can't say whether it's because of my mileage, or because the car is just so darn cool. :) I think I'm going to go with because it's so darn cool. B) I usually drive at lunch when I wouldn't otherwise, just so I can play.

I drive the same way to and from work, but I have 'considered' taking more MPG-advantaged routes when my MPG starts slipping. ;)

I wouldn't say the miles are guilt-free, but they are burden-lessened... :D

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, it does make going home TWICE a year to see our families affordable.

otherwise, we'd just spend the money on ONE flight home and back every year. but jets use plenty of fuel. i bet we use less fuel by driving twice than flying once.

so, that's kinda inconclusive.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm driving more for sure but that's because I'm driving the Prius instead of another vehicle so it's actually better now. I can't really play the route game without driving WAY out of my way. Probably for the best.

6. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea, I'm covering more miles now. Some of the extra miles are because of alternate routes that are more conducive to higher MPGs. Others are just 'because the Prius is such a joy to drive. I've never REALLY enjoyed driving until now. :wub:

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Same as Tripp. I'm driving more simply because we save money by using the vehicle that's the most economical to drive. When I had my 1990 Ford Probe we drove more in the wife's Windstar as it had airbags and a working A/C. Now we're more likely to use the Prius, unless we're going to be moving stuff.

8. Panther87

Panther87 Junior Member

I won't have my Prius until Jan., but I do plan to drive more. Right now I only drive about 6,500-7,000/year. I want to get back into my family tree research. And with the improved gas milage, i plan to go to a few more Twins games next year. And travel and see some relations. So, maybe I might go up to 12,000-15,000 miles per year.

9. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We drive the Prius more because the option is a 15 MPG Dakota. We drive the Prius whenever we can because it gets better mileage. We were talking this last weekend on a trip up to Lake Tahoe that the next trip would likely be in the Dakota because of the 4 wheel drive. I made a rough calculation and the cost difference for the trip between the Prius and the Dakota was about $70 with gas at $2.50/gal.

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

In the past, both our other cars had about the same mileage, so we would "share" the driving load. Now the Prius gets just about ALL the drive time. We don't drive more just to be in the Prius.

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

25-30K for me, and yes, I do drive more...

12. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

In my case, one of the reasons that I bought the Prius is that a job change meant I'd be driving more. So I am driving more with the Prius than I did before, but it's not the cause.

My previous daily driver was a company car, but I drove mostly to the airport. When I changed jobs, I knew I'd be doing more business locally, our HQ is a 42 mile drive from home and I'd be paying for the gas, instead of having the fleet pay. Of course, I do get the standard reimbursement based on IRS rates for business miles, but the trip to HQ doesn't really qualify since I have an office there.

Cheers,
    Jeff

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Less than 10,000 a year. But don't go by me. My last car was about 5,000 a year.

I am driving more, but only because I now have a job farther away from home. That's why I bought the Prius in the first place, because my commute was longer by 20 miles a day. So I'm putting an extra 100 miles on per week. Other than that, driving is the same.

14. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    30k plus for me and I don't drive any more. Except maybe the first weekend I had it.

15. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

There s some inconsistancy here.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You drive more miles which burns more gas because you get more miles per gallon. 'Tis a puzzlement." :blink:

16. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't say I'm driving more miles. I changed jobs about the same time I got the Prius and I now have to drive to the train station. Yes, I could take lite rail to the train station but it would add an hour (each way) to my commute.

I replaced a Ford Taurus with the Prius and what I have noticed is that I'm not as concerned about the cost when I drive someplace.

17. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I too look for more MPG condusive routes rather than the shortest point from A to B. For me - it's maybe a couple of miles out of the way.

Sometimes it's more efficient to go around the mountain than over it.

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Im looking forward to it!

19. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i drive less than 10,000 miles/year. so the great mileage of the prius even saves me more. also, because of the great mileage i don't feel guilty going on longer trips, in fact i'd purposely think of reasons to drive somewhere far! :p (well, in my case, i go around the island :lol:)

20. DanP

DanP Member

It's only puzzling until you understand that mpg maximization has become something of a sport among some Prius owners. I myself have been tempted to go the grocery store located five miles away rather than the store only one mile away, just because the short trips ruin my mpg. It's irrational from an economic point of view, but it is entirely rational from a "sporting" point of view.