1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do the Mods work on '06?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rad0551, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Rad0551

Rad0551 New Member

I've been reading through all the posts regarding the different mods that can be performed on the Prius. I was wondering if anyone was able to get them to work on an '06 model? I have a 2006 Seaside Pearl with package 7 (waiting on the DMV so I can order my HOV stickers, my car is 3 weeks old). I wanted to know if the EV Mode button works on an '06, if the NAV and Bluetooth over-rides work on '06 (those popular 'purple' wires). I wanted to try these and have all the switches and parts needed but have only seen it mentioned on here for earlier than '06 models. If anyone has installed any of these successfully please let me know. I've already disabled the reverse beep beep beep. Thanks!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Which EV mod? I know Coastal's and the headlight stalk ones work. The OEM should work, but the size of the switch itself is different than the one for the 2004-2005. The bonus of the 2006 is that when you can't get into EV mode, it tells you so on the screen.

Someone has cut both purple wires on the 2006 (and installed switches) and the overrides work also.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. It all works. Most of them even have a bit of description on my Prius Mods pages.

4. Rad0551

Rad0551 New Member

:p

Ok, so I've completed all the basic mods. I have to say that I'm happy with everything. The biggest problem I had was with inserting the pin for the EV mod. The diagrams weren't exactly clear as to which way the pin should go in and no matter which way I inserted it, the plastic retainer clip didn't seat all the way back down properly. I thought this was going to be a major problem but was able to get the connector to back into the recepticle with no force, so I left it the way it was. I tested the EV mode and as I was driving noticed the battery indicator went down to 2 bars. The bars appeared to be purple in color and not the normal 'blue' color and I panicked. I pulled over and quickly shut off the car. I started it up again and didn't use the EV mode button anymore that day. I went back and read the information regarding the use of the button and discovered I could have simply pressed the button again to get the ICE to turn on. I tested this and it works just as it is supposed to. I put the backup camera switch (spst) in the front middle speaker because I saw darelldd put his there and it worked out nicely. I ran the momentary switch for the EV mod across the inside of the dash and used one of the free switch plates by the dimmer switch for that. I also used the last free switch plate to install a toggle switch (dpdt) which has both NAV over-ride and Bluetooth / Stereo over-ride. This happens to be the switch I use the most (for the passenger to use the display, of course, ahem).

I was slightly disappointed when I took my car into the dealer for the first oil change that they don't carry the mudflaps in my area. However, I logged on here and found that they are now offered under the accessories. As soon as I save enough pennies I'll get them and install them.

Mud flaps make the car look more 'low-profile' and sporty so I want to get them. I also want to tint the windows because the car looks very sleek with the tinted windows. A front end mask would be nice also but they are a little expensive for me.

I'm still waiting on my HOV stickers. I've seen a Prius with the large sticker mounted on the back glass on the right side below the back hatch. I thought this was pretty clever since it allowed him to remove the sticker easily (since it is on glass) once the stickers are no longer valid. If I carry the paperwork with me, that shows I'm allowed to drive in the carpool lanes, I don't think I would get in trouble for it. Perhaps at the most, I would get a 'fix-it' ticket. Thoughts?

Over-all, the car is becoming more than just a 'car' for me. It's more of a toy and a project all in one. I like it more than any other vehicle I've owned. Now if I can just get the display to play DVD's and find a way to get internet access on the MFD, that would be too cool. I could check email and surf the web while I'm parked.

Oh, is there a way to get map updates and import them to the DVD NAV system instead of getting them from the dealer?

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim M. @ Jun 13 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]270638[/snapback]</div>
    You'll have to do a search. Some have been able to connect a DVD player so it'll play on the MFD and I've seen computers that have been connected too.

As for MAP updates, the only way (at the moment) is to go through the dealer. At $250 or so for a DVD it's something you'll really have to need. There's some on eBay, but may sure you know what you're getting. For example, the latest version (5.2 I think) comes in two types, one for 2004-2005 and one for 2006.

6. nakman

nakman New Member

Darrell thanks for documenting all of that. I disabled the reverse beep, yanked the hub caps and am very pleased with both mods. Am reading up on the EV stuff now... :cheers: