1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do we have any idea what the 2006 Prius will be like?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kidtwist, Feb 21, 2005.

1. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

Excuse my ignorance of car industry practices, but has Toyota announced what the 2006 Prius will be like? Will it be the same as the 2004/2005 or a major redesign? If not, when will we find out. I'm wondering because when I put down my deposit I was told I might be getting a 2006.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Given Toyota's past history no major change in 06.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Start the "Better Seats" petition drive now...

4. Craig0812

Craig0812 New Member

I don't believe Toyota will be redesigning the Prius until 2007. The 2001 stayed for 3 years, so I am assuming that the 2004 will be around for 3 as well. Only time will tell. I did however hear a verbal comment some months back at a dealership saying that one of the fleet managers was waiting until 2006 to purchase the Prius.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No redesign coming until 2007 or as late as '08. 2006 minor changes will probably include package changes (such the case with 04-05) and perhaps some color changes.

They won't do a body redesign until they do a refresh of the HSD system.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota typically runs a four year cycle on their passenger cars. I'd look for the next redesign in '07 as an '08 model.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not veryconcerned about the seats in the 2006 models. It's the seats in my '04 that're killing me. :-D

I would think that Toyota is still trying to produce as quickly as possible. Dramatic changes might slow them down. I would think that by now, their production methods are sound and their speed is improving. They are in a position to be THE hybrid manufacturer of the world. If they tried to introduce something and it backfired, they'd kill themselves. If they have to publicize a recall on something newly introduced, people might jump off the waiting lists. It wouldn't even surprise me if they reviewed their model demand and trim down another one or even two models just to limit the variability and increase their production speed.

I'm no businessman, but those are my couple'a cents worth.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Maybe they'll come up with full auto headlights even with HID.

Perhaps a reverse camera option. Maybe MP3 CD playback?

We might see additional options, like the later model year classics had.

9. wilco

wilco New Member

Don't hold your breath for better seats. I've owned four other Toyotas, all with uncomfortable seats.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I haven't bothered to look, but if the '06 Avalon will come with auto-headlamps & DRLs with their HIDs, I bet we'll have a better chance of getting them in 06 as well. But then again the Avalon lights are probably the same as it's sister car, the Lexus ES300 (I believe that's the one), and Lexus has had them for years yet the Prius didn't.

11. senectus

senectus New Member

I want to see on screen HUD (Heads Up Display)... :mrgreen:

12. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No change for 06.... Next gen Prius will do in 07 or 08
    Is next gen Prius for U.S market will be build in California?
    Toyota is investing new factory quite alot, soon to be finish San Antonio Truck assembly plant, then where is next?

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm 6.0ft and skinny, so the Prius seats fit me just fine. I will have to admit the bucket seats in my 2000 GMC Sierra were a tad better, but I had the SLT option package. Those seats were leather, heated, many adjustments including headrest angle and power lumbar.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    4 year cycle? I thought 5?
    97-01 Camry
    92-96 Camry
    93-97 Corolla
    98-02 Corolla
    95-00 RAV4 (6)
    95-99 Avalon
    95-99 Tercel
    98-03 Solara

Wilco, we had 4 Toyotas (still have 2 of them) and they were quite acceptable. Are yours Toyota SUVs or passenger cars?

15. wilco

wilco New Member

Tideland,

'80 Tercel - I found the minimal econo-seats comfortable, but had many complaints.

'80 Corolla SR5 Hatchback - I had to drive with a small pillow in the gap between the small of my back and the seat.

'89 Corolla 4WD/All-Trac Wagon - better that the previous two, but still not great for longer drives. Fantastic car though - by far the best ski/snowboard -mobile I've ever had. Traction as good as an SUV with WAY better braking + handling, and 2x the gas mileage.

'94 4x4 Extracab P/U - best of the four for support, but the cloth is super rough feeling, so uncomfortable on any exposed skin.

Of course height/weight/proportions play a role, so what is good for one may not be for another - I'm a little taller/thinner than average I suppose.

I actually find the Prius seats comfortable, but I haven't spent enough time in them to really judge.

16. fred

fred New Member

can you say "hemi"? alright, alright geeeesh dont throw stuff at me!! just an innocent thought (kinda) 8) 8) 8)

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wilco,

Oh, I see. Ours were a 97 Corolla DX Plus anda n 00 Corolla LE. We currently have the 02 Camry XLE and 05 Prius. Perhaps there were large improvements in seat design between the older models and the newer models?

18. wilco

wilco New Member

Yeah, I think so. Plus it could be that the seats in my older Toyotas were worn out. Those cars were already over 10 years old when I had them. However, compared to similar Hondas and Nissans, I still think Toyota seats leave a bit to be desired.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You have been bad. It is time out for you. Go stand in the corner. Do we have a corner? :D

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I purchased new a 1992 Honda Prelude SR. For drives under an hour, the seats seemed ok. Anything longer than that and it felt like my shoulder blades would fall off.

The headrest was integrated and non-adjustable on the Prelude, so I could *never* have just the right seatback angle and headrest angle.