1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DO Wheels from other car fit Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kevinlaul, Dec 5, 2007.

1. kevinlaul

kevinlaul New Member

Has anyone found wheels from other model car that will fit a Prius? I'm cheap and would like to find a junkyard set of wheels to put winter tread tires on and just swap them out spring and fall. We get dumped on here and thats the only gripe I have about my Prius, it ain't no snowdog.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try eBay for wheels.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Corolla wheels from recent years will fit. You will need to get conical lugnuts for them as those for the alloy wheels will not hold.

I have heard that Matrix wheels will also work.

4. laskint

laskint New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any 15" Rim would do as long as the bolt pattern is 5x100. If offset is a factor as well, perhaps 35-38mm.

5. chefboyarlee

chefboyarlee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :eek: What about 16" rims bolt pattern. Would camry wheels work? What advantage would a 16" rim have over a 15" one? Affect on mpg?

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    16" rims are standard on the Touring Edition. I believe that the EPA MPG of the Touring Edition is the same as the standard/base edition.

7. laskint

laskint New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As long as the bolt pattern is 5x100, size does not matter. If you go up in rim size, you install a tire that has a shorter sidewall. Basically you get a tire and wheel that is the same size overall. Most shops call it plus sizing. Tirerack . com sums it up pretty well.

8. sleeka

sleeka Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Celica wheels fit fine.
    Here's a photo of my Prius with them fitted.

Attached Files:

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ride will get more harsh as you go "+1," "+2" etc., if that happens to be a concern.

10. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No... Camry has a different bolt pattern for sure.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Careful with the weight and tire compound or else your milage could drop pretty significantly.

I took my aftermarket wheels off and after putting the stock ones back on I am getting higher milage in the cold winter than I ever have in the hot summer. This summer should smash all my previous records. :)

mypriuscious likes this.
  12. 6strngs

6strngs New Member

I work at a tire shop, and I can say that any wheel will work, within reason. The bolt pattern must be 5x100. This pattern is commonly used on toyota, honda, and subaru, but not much else. also, not every toyota, honda, or subaru has this pattern. The 5x114 bolt pattern is very close and it would be impossible to tell the difference by looking, so make sure to double check! A lot of aftermarket wheels have ten holes in them to accomodate both 5x100 and 5x114 bolt patterns.

From what I've seen, most Prius's come with 15 inch wheels. If you want a different size, you will also need to buy new tires at the same time as a tire for a 15 inch wheel will not fit on a 16 inch wheel or vice versa. (If you look at the tire size, such as 205/55/15 for example, the last number represents the wheel size) If you do find new wheels that are also have a 15 inch diameter, your tires may not necessarily fit either, it depends on the width of your tire, and the width of your wheel. Certain wheel widths can only support a certain range of tire widths. But, if your new wheels are relatively close in size to your current ones then you shouldn't have any problems but you should check online or call up your local tire shop and ask them to double check. I had a chart I found online which said which size wheel widths could fit which size tires, but I can't find it now. Anyway, the offset of the wheel also plays a factor. Offset is the where the mounting surface of the wheel is in relation to the center. This is harder to explain, but most of the wheels you would be looking at putting on this car should fit though. If you were looking at putting truck wheels or muscle car wheels on your prius, then you might have clearance issues due to offset, but I highly doubt anyone would ever do that. Most wheels off a passenger or sport compact car should fit in regard to offset.

Now, in regards to bigger wheels and gas milage, a bigger wheel is usually heavier. In fact, a lot of the wheels in the same size could be heavier. But it varies greatly based on the material they are made of and the process in which they are made. Forged aluminum or Magnesium wheels are extremely lightweight, but they are far from cheap. Now, what does this have to do with anything? A heavier wheel means more rotational mass, which means your engine needs to work harder in order to get the wheel to accellerate at the same rate as it would for a lighter wheel, therefore meaning worse gas milage. However, a bigger wheel means a larger rolling diameter (unless of course you get a smaller profile tire, but I'll get to that) which means less revolutions per mile. In other words, it means that once you are up to speed, the wheel needs to rotate less times to travel the same distance, thus equating to better gas milage. However, your car's computer may disagree. All the calculations that your car makes to display your vehicle speed and gas milage are all based on the OEM wheel and tire size. If you change wheel or tire size, it can throw off the numbers. The faster you go, the more it'll be off by, but if you moved up to 16 inch wheels from 15 inch wheels your speedometer would only be off by about 2 or 3 mph at freeway speeds (It would say you are travelling slower than actually are, so if it said you were going 65mph, you might actually be going 68) the difference is really small and almost negligable as your speedometer isn't 100% accurate anyway. As for tire size, a larger sidewall gives a more comfortable, smoother ride (along with the higher revolutions per mile I was just talking about), whereas a smaller sidewall size would help the car perform better through corners and it also looks nicer. Generally, when people put a bigger wheel on, they put a lower profile tire on to maintain the same rolling diameter (and it also looks nicer, which is the whole point of putting different wheels on to begin with, right?) but it is not usually necessary that you do so.

Anyway, after all that, the reason I joined up on this forum and found this thread is I was actually looking to put OEM prius wheels on my car! And I was wondering if anybody knew what the offset of the wheels were? The wheel size and offset are usually stamped somewhere on the wheel, usually on the back. It should say something like "15x6 ET##" The first number refers to the wheel diameter, in this case 15 inches, the second is wheel width, so it'd be 6 inches. And the 2 numbers next to the letters "ET" are the offset. Note that somtimes the two numbers will be in front of the letters.

Tomek310 and mypriuscious like this.
  13. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For comparison's sake, what is the weight of the stock standard Prius wheels?

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Stock US Prius wheels are 15 inch diameter, 6 (.5?) inch width, 45mm positive offset.

5x100 Lug Pattern
    Weight 6.5 KG (14.3 lb)
    Weight: 6.5kg
    Size: 15x6JJ
    PCD 100mm
    5 Holes
    Offset 45mm

15. 6strngs

6strngs New Member

Thanks for the info. If the size is 15x6JJ then the wheel is 6 inches wide, not 6.5.

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I had mine the MAX tire size was 17".

Ahh 20's on the next gen prius...!
    [​IMG]
    Pinto~
    Hows the fart can???? I cant wait to hear the wav file .....:D

17. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last time I had my car in for servicing, the Prius tech mentioned that the 15" steel wheels on which my snow tires are mounted could lead to wheel bearing problems because they (the steel wheels) are lug centric, while the stock alloy rims are hub centric.

I understand the theory behind his concern (i.e., the lug centric rims my cause vibration which is harmful to the wheel bearings). However, I had the steel wheels on all last winter, and never felt anything abnormal in the front end (e.g., a shimmy).

Any comments on the use of (lug centric) steel wheels on the Prius?

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great question. I'd love to know the answer, too.

19. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Further back, in the Nexo wheels thread I think, someone said the offset for the wheels was 35-38 mm. T

So which is it?

And can I use the Nexo wheels with their 40 mm offset?

20. p10leadman

p10leadman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seems to be a lot of chatter about steel vs alum for snow tires...hm I live in Maine, own a 2007 Prius, the ONLY steel rims I could find are a TEN (10) lug pattern rim, and I am told that they will fit my FIVE (5) lug pattern. also the original summer tires are 185/65 R15 and the studded winter tires are 195/65 R15......they came off a 2004 Prius. The tires are almost new, used less than 1,000 miles, price is RIGHT : $120.oo for everything. Yes, I know mpg will go to crap, but then again, I don't want to put a $30,000 vehicle in a snowbank either!
    I never heard of 10 lug rims though..definately aftermarket.

:eek: