1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you bring home hotel soap?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Sep 12, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We'll leave new soap bars, but bars that we use in the hotel is just going to end up in the dump. Bring it home and have free soap for 7 days? Or too gross?

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We'll leave new soap bars, but bars that we use in the hotel is just going to end up in the dump. Bring it home and have free soap for 7 days? Or too gross?

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 11 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]511098[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you. Shampoo too.

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 11 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]511098[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you. Shampoo too.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I nick everything that isn't nailed down. :p

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I nick everything that isn't nailed down. :p

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never use bar soap but if there are little bottles of shampoo or body wash I take them for when I go camping on my motorbike to reduce what I need to carry. I also take sewing kits, same reason, pens, you can never have too many, biscuits to nibble on the road, coffee and sugar, good again for camping.
    If you are the fool who takes the batteries from the remote, bloody stop it!!!!
    I don't take the TV, sheets, blankets, pillows, mattress, or towels every time, only if I need them. (joke)
    Best thing is my work pays for the motel.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never use bar soap but if there are little bottles of shampoo or body wash I take them for when I go camping on my motorbike to reduce what I need to carry. I also take sewing kits, same reason, pens, you can never have too many, biscuits to nibble on the road, coffee and sugar, good again for camping.
    If you are the fool who takes the batteries from the remote, bloody stop it!!!!
    I don't take the TV, sheets, blankets, pillows, mattress, or towels every time, only if I need them. (joke)
    Best thing is my work pays for the motel.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only soap without animal products is good for this girl. I bring my own or use their shampoo or liquid wash to clean my bod.

How timely a thread.....we're planning our trip to Arizona for some hiking. Backpacking is out as my hubby's feet are damaged again. May not even get to do all the hiking we want. Cry.

Thanks for all the great ideas on what I should take home this time!!! We'll be needing a new mattress soon anyway.

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only soap without animal products is good for this girl. I bring my own or use their shampoo or liquid wash to clean my bod.

How timely a thread.....we're planning our trip to Arizona for some hiking. Backpacking is out as my hubby's feet are damaged again. May not even get to do all the hiking we want. Cry.

Thanks for all the great ideas on what I should take home this time!!! We'll be needing a new mattress soon anyway.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    stuck the unopened bar of soap and the remains of the shampoo in my dop kit to take home just this morning. Yea, the used soap is just too messy for me.
    We have a drawer in each guest bathroom that we stick the hotel stuff in so that any guests can use them.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    stuck the unopened bar of soap and the remains of the shampoo in my dop kit to take home just this morning. Yea, the used soap is just too messy for me.
    We have a drawer in each guest bathroom that we stick the hotel stuff in so that any guests can use them.

13. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]511253[/snapback]</div>
    Great idea re. the guest room. Why didn't I think of that?! I'll put some of our stash there right now.

PA P

14. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 12 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]511253[/snapback]</div>
    Great idea re. the guest room. Why didn't I think of that?! I'll put some of our stash there right now.

PA P

15. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For years I travelled so much I got tired of packing up all of those soaps, shampoos, etc. We had drawers full of them, and I couldn't make much use of them. I used to combine the shampoos into a big bottle and use it myself. After 9/11 and the big changes in carry-on restrictions, I started taking the smaller bottles and things for my own travel. Still, I garner more than I use.

Here's what we started to do a couple of years ago: We've given these, on a regular basis, to a local shelter. These small items are very well received at the shelter and offer a more personal touch for the folks staying there. This is the best use of such items.

On the question of "used" soap vs. new? I vote for wiping off the soap and replacing it in its wrapper. You can put it in a small plastic bag and return with it for your own later use. I think this is a great thing to do. What a waste to leave it when even a small bar of soap can be used for a couple of weeks.

16. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For years I travelled so much I got tired of packing up all of those soaps, shampoos, etc. We had drawers full of them, and I couldn't make much use of them. I used to combine the shampoos into a big bottle and use it myself. After 9/11 and the big changes in carry-on restrictions, I started taking the smaller bottles and things for my own travel. Still, I garner more than I use.

Here's what we started to do a couple of years ago: We've given these, on a regular basis, to a local shelter. These small items are very well received at the shelter and offer a more personal touch for the folks staying there. This is the best use of such items.

On the question of "used" soap vs. new? I vote for wiping off the soap and replacing it in its wrapper. You can put it in a small plastic bag and return with it for your own later use. I think this is a great thing to do. What a waste to leave it when even a small bar of soap can be used for a couple of weeks.

17. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to bring home the soap and shower caps, but ended up with too much - to the point where the wife was throwing them out. Now I only bring home the soap if it is really something special. The wife still has a bag full of shower caps, so just leave it at the hotel now.

Mind you, have never bought a bar of soap in the last 15 years. :D

18. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to bring home the soap and shower caps, but ended up with too much - to the point where the wife was throwing them out. Now I only bring home the soap if it is really something special. The wife still has a bag full of shower caps, so just leave it at the hotel now.

Mind you, have never bought a bar of soap in the last 15 years. :D

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When my wife was in the hospital for a couple of months, they'd change the room she a couple of times a week. The first time this happened, the nurse asked me if I'd like to take the toothpaste, baby powder, etc., which were all unused or only used once or twice. I said, "I'll take what's open, but you can keep the unopened ones." She explained that hospital policy required her to throw them away even if they were clearly unopened, so I took them. I now have enough travel toothpaste, shaving cream, etc., to last me the rest of my life.

I used to take hand cream from hotels until last year when I realized I had a couple of dozen bottles of the stuff.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When my wife was in the hospital for a couple of months, they'd change the room she a couple of times a week. The first time this happened, the nurse asked me if I'd like to take the toothpaste, baby powder, etc., which were all unused or only used once or twice. I said, "I'll take what's open, but you can keep the unopened ones." She explained that hospital policy required her to throw them away even if they were clearly unopened, so I took them. I now have enough travel toothpaste, shaving cream, etc., to last me the rest of my life.

I used to take hand cream from hotels until last year when I realized I had a couple of dozen bottles of the stuff.