1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you care when your neighbor's dog craps on your lawn?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 10, 2006.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I am on a lookout for where the owners of dogs that poop on my property live. It is going to their porch.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 1 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]505396[/snapback]</div>
    This is my policy. You have to put the responsibility on the owners doorstep. In our city dogs are not allowed to roam free. So if some dog is crapping in my yard, he's doing it at the end of a leash and his owner knows it. Just because it's dog crap doesn't dismiss it. I also don't tolerate trash being thrown in my yard. How many here that are turning a blind eye or just picking it up would feel the same if the neighbors would eat corn on the cob or watermelon and throw the cobs and rinds in your yard? How about the picked over chicken carcass? Rib bones? How about pizza boxes? Used and full baby diapers? If you just ignore it and pick it up it will continue to happen and even escalate. As unpleasant as it is, you need to confront the offender and explain to them how their behavior isn't acceptable. It is disrespectful of you and your property and in some cases against the law.

I don't smoke or swill beer. I don't expect to have to police my yard for beer cans or cigarette butts.

So dog owners better know where their dog is at all times and better bring plastic bags with them when they walk their dog. I do.

BTW no cat problem in my yard. I have had to dispose of three feline corpses that were unfortunate enough to stray. Removed from the gene pool.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 1 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]505396[/snapback]</div>
    Just be careful: dog owners anti-social enough to let their dog poop in your yard may be violent as well. The fact that you have reason on your side may mean nothing to them. An alternative might be to mail it to them. But don't leave any fingerprints on the package.

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 1 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]505438[/snapback]</div>
    Besides my adoration of cats (three of them - only allowed out in the fenced in pen at night for the regard of my neighbors and wildlife.), and my understanding that it ain't the cats fault for roaming keeps my evil thoughts harnessed or at bay. I wish not to know how you engaged in their death, just maybe that they didn't suffer.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Say what you will about dogs, but I really dislike cats.... They spray in the a/c vents and sleep on our cars, leave their fur, dirt from their paws on the car paint and I even found one that had scratched the paint on my truck....

Inside house cats? fine
    Outside cats ? No way

I would rather set out a bowl of prestone... :D ;)

No really I just shoot them with an airsoft pellet gun (more humane)

6. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It bothers me. But nobody else walks their dog in my neighborhood, at least not that I've seen.

We got our new dog in late March. He's kind of weird, but in a good way. He will only poop in one of the two far corners of the back yard. Nowhere else. Not at the dog park, not in the neighbor's yard, only in one of those two corners. It does make it easy to clean!

7. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i have a dog.... and yes.... i would be totally pissed is someone else let their dog poop in front yard!

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 2 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]505813[/snapback]</div>
    They wandered into a yard "owned" but a large dog. In fact two large dogs when it happened (my previous dogs). The yard has an 8 ft fence, reaks of dogs (they pee everywhere to mark their territory) and I've actually seen the cats walk the fence doing the kitty equivalent of "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah" to taunt the dogs. The dogs were doing what dogs do and I can't blame them for that. The resulting cat gene pool will feature faster and smarter cats. And perhaps cats that don't take unnecessary chances in dog territory. My only involvement in their demise was that I own the dogs and disposed of the remains. I can't fault the dogs for protecting their territory. It's what dogs do. And in fact is their job; what they are "hired" to do. (Not like the cats were going to make away with the family silver, but they do call them "cat burglars".)

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Sep 2 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]506035[/snapback]</div>
    totally pissed...about poop...

that's --oddly-- amusing.

---------

Godiva: Don't forget that your dog(s) and cats were bred by humans.

They are NOT wild animals; they were created by us. Consequently, we have a responsibility to look after them.

At a minimum, at least don't be so cold and detached about their deaths. Geez, those might have been some child's pet(s), y'know...?

10. KingSuper20

KingSuper20 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 10 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]269221[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. That pile should be returned to it's rightful owner ...

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SHould it be returned in a burning paper bag on the front porch?
    Ding Dong

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 4 2007, 05:01 AM) [snapback]506692[/snapback]</div>
    Some people just don't like cats. I used to be one of these people until I got two kittens. Now I love cats much more than dogs. Being a home owner and trying to maintain a wildlife habitat in my yard, I can see exactly where these people that dislike cats are coming from. A few of my neighbors think it's ok to let their cats roam around my yard and it pisses me off. People aren't allowed to let all of their dogs roam around unleashed (thankfully) and I think people that have cats should extend the same courtesy. It's these irresponsible people that foster such a bad public perception of cats. They let them out to destroy and kill and scratch and crap and reproduce. Spay or neuter your cat and keep it indoors or walk it on a leash. Period.

13. KingSuper20

KingSuper20 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 4 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]506799[/snapback]</div>
    exactly. Cats are cool. They belong inside. Dogs are cool, they should be well trained and under control. Irresponsible pet owners should be punished.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 4 2007, 05:01 AM) [snapback]506692[/snapback]</div>
    I know my dogs are not wild animals and I need to take care of them. However, the fact they are domesticated does not override their heritage. Humans breed dogs for certain traits. And my "stop that" isn't overriding their need to defend their territory. It's their yard. For that moment, they were wild. I'd like to add that when I walked my dogs they left cats alone. A simple "no" and that was it. But off leash in their own yard was a different matter.

And I'm not minimizing the death of the cats. One was a neighbors cat and I had to tell them my dogs had caught their cat in the yard and killed it. It was their pet. It was very sad and I was afraid they would hate my dogs for it.

I'm a dog person and I don't know cats as well as I know dogs. However, if I had a cat I wouldn't it roam to get hit by cars, killed by whatever is living in the canyons (that really is wild) or to hump itself dizzy making little feral cats. I think allowing cats to roam un-neutered is irresponsible at best and often cruel if that cat end up the main entre on at the Coyote Café or a flat cat frisbee on the main thoroughfare. I also don't appreciate the Cat Operas that go on all night during mating season.

I expect dog owners walking their dogs to police their poop. I don't expect to have to pick up cat poop in my yard either.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 4 2007, 07:49 AM) [snapback]506711[/snapback]</div>
    Well, not the first time. But perhaps if they need reinforcement of acceptable neighborhood dog deportment.

16. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How about a couple of signs that say something on the following lines:

CAUTION
    This lawn has been treated with DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE a known oxidizer and poison.
    Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid.
    Its basis is the unstable radical Hydroxide, the components of which are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Such a sign would scare the most persistent dog walkers away from your lawn :D

Further information about this wonderful compound may be found at: www.dhmo.org

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Sep 5 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]507162[/snapback]</div>
    I love that site!

(They're already attempting to reduce it's use by 20% in my area.)

18. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Sep 4 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]507162[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, if the dog walker remembers his high-school chemistry, the sign will lose its deterrent effect. More likely, the dog walker will not even read the sign.

20. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    as long as he don't care that I own a bitch cat with PMS.