1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you clean your fuel injectors?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lucky Stars, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Lucky Stars

Lucky Stars Gadgit Guru

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know short trips are really bad for making deposits on injectors. With the Prius engine starting and stopping constantly do the injectors need to be cleaned more often?
    Every boat, truck, tractor and car I've had in the last 15 years I've used Lucas injector cleaner in twice a year and never had injector problems.
    Is it advised to do the same in a Prius? I'm thinking it couldn't hurt but...........

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius engine lives an easy life. Your normal thinking about the wear and strain from starting frequently doesn't apply in the case of the Prius, as the engine does not use a normal starting cycle.

The cleaners and detergents in your gas should be fine for keeping your injectors happy.

Tom

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 Prius is at 125,000 miles and the injectors are fine without ever doing a cleaning. The 10% ethanol in our gasoline is a solvent as well as acting as a gas line antifreeze so maybe its worth the 3% reduction in MPG.

JeffD

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the fall, I clean the throttle using a kit that includes injector cleaner. Since I already have it and no other use for it, I dump it in the tank. Cleaning the throttle plate is important in the fall:
    Cleaning Prius Throttle

Bob Wilson