1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you drive less?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Oct 26, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Since buying my Prius, I've started taking the bus to work once a week, and walking the few blocks I used to drive for neighborhood stuff. Part of it is that I'm more environmentally conscious, but part is because I don't want to lower my average MPG with those short drives! Anybody else change their habits post-Prius?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 26 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]338899[/snapback]</div>
    Not especially. We always tried to "drive less" for the most part. Combine trips, take the car that's already warmed up, etc.

3. pault842

pault842 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 26 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]338899[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, been driving more!

4. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Nope - drive the same (but now my wife also drives my Prius)

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    HA! I'm up to 15,000 miles and I picked up the car 1/24/06!!!!

a great deal of that is for work, but it is much more than last year! :lol:

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My driving habits did not change when I got the Prius, except that the first day I drove about ten miles north on the freeway and then back, just for fun.

However, when I moved to Spokane from Fargo I began driving more because everything is farther away.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 26 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]338899[/snapback]</div>
    Sure would be great if everybody did this... especially those without Prii.

Whatever it takes to get people to think clearly, I guess. Without wanting to sound snotty... why were you driving the distances that you could easily walk *before* you bought a Prius?

And to answer your question... no, I don't drive any less after getting the Prius. I only drive when I have to, and I only drive the gasoline Prius when the EV is being used by somebody else. I normally go for a week or two between needing to drive an automobile. These days I bike about as many miles as I drive.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct, 10:02 PM) [snapback]339073[/snapback]</div>
    That's ok, it's a good question -- just pure laziness, and I guess a disconnect with the impact of my actions. You know what else made a difference? When those 9 or 10 (?) minors who died a few months back. It got me thinking about the whole big picture. Those guys risk their lives every day so that I can turn on my lights and put food in my refrigerator. That really got to me. I stopped using the A/C after that.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do drive less and I'll tell you why:

My wife and I now have a 2006 Prius and a 2001 Camry. My wife has a longer commute than me most days of the week, and my commute is 12 miles round trip 4 days, and about 30 miles 1 day. So, in spite of how jealous and protective I am of my precious Prius, it makes sense for her to drive it on days that her commute is longer than mine.

Normally I would bike to work fairly often, but since getting the Prius I just don't like driving other cars anymore, so now I bike 4 days per week most of the time. I had a cold this week and I still biked to work on a pretty cold day.

Environmental reasons? Partly, but I mostly I just have this unhealthy emotional bond with my new car that makes me want to not drive if I can't drive my baby.

And for the mile or so to the grocery store, my wife and I can put saddle bags on our bikes and carry as much as we would on most average trips to the store. For the mile or so to the gym, it's faster for us to bike because parking there is always bad, and it's a good quick warmup. There are 2 movie theaters within biking distance of my home, so that's good for a nice Friday night ride along the Charles river.

Just for social and cultural health I would recommend that everyone try to localize their lives as much as possible... economic and environmental concerns make that seem like it should be mandatory.

10. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 26 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]339073[/snapback]</div>
    I live in LA, need further explanation? :D

I walk anything that is within a 2 block radius. Yes this is still *very* lazy.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I drive more, for a variety of reasons. My commute changed from 5 miles to 18 miles (each way). Plus my wife has a Windstar (her choice) so we take the Prius more because of the MPG and comfort.