1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you ever exaggerate your mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusisourfamilygashog, May 3, 2008.

1. priusisourfamilygashog

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    when people at gas stations ask you how many miles you get? I have a 2000 Insight and have been getting the question for years. Depending on how big their cars are , I might up my MPG a little bit. I have told people up to 70 MPG just to watch their faces

I average around 55 in city and 60 on the highway, my wifes new prius is doing around 46. (hence my login name)

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the person. If they look like they're interested in knowing the whole truth, I'll set it up as how we're in winter (or we just were) and we use the car for mostly short trips. I'll explain that this kills the mileage so our mileage isn't very good. Then, I'll tell them that we've been averaging ~42 MPG over the winter. I think that the idea that I consider 42 MPG pretty low is impressive to them. Then I point out that we routinely get 50-55 MPG in the summer and they are even more impressed.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Meredith got 79.88 with her Insight at last year's Tour to the Shore. I tell people I am disappointed when I only get 50mpg. Sounds like your wife needs to inflate the tires and block the grill, climate permitting.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What? me? no.... I always get 70mpg. What are you talking about? :p.

No I don't exaggerate. They're already impressed by the numbers. If they come up with something, I always have a counter ready.

5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    No, I tell the truth. Even when I'm getting 37 mpg on my short trips in winter, people say "wow that's really good." Then I tell them I get 50 mpg highway year round and close to 50 on the short trips in summer.

6. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I never do - don't see the point to it. Eventually it will come back to haunt you or the Prius.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say I exagerate.
    If someone asks I'll usually tell them what my current tank mpg is...these days that usually that means mid-60s to 70 or so.

If they show more interest I'll expand and tell them my lifetime mpg is about 55, but that I have learned to drive it more efficiently and rarely see a tank below 60. That's all true.

But I also usually go on to tell them that I'm an "MPG Fanatic" and most people don't do that well but still get 45-50 without really trying once they get used to the car.

I see no reason to lie when the truth is so impressive anyway.

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I agree with the Doc above. The truth is so great compared to my last ride, 2005 Expedition (17mpg at the best) That I tell folks the truth. Sometiimes I just tell folks to push the big round button twice and look at the mileage for the tank on the MFD screen. Even that screen is impressive to folks. I average 50 + so far and may need to inflate to a higher tire pressure. I am at dealer levels now. And, I am getting a scan gauge soon too. That I hope will help once I learn how to use it.

9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    winter: 42mpg culprit: heavy steel wheels & bridgestone blizzaks remedy: none
    spring: 57mpg
    summer: 52mpg culprit: a/c remedy: give us a damn moonroof toyota!!
    fall: 57mpg

I take a picture of my display screen with my cell phone whenever I score over 57mpg (which is every tank this spring) just to prove it to nonbelievers. Then I tell them the 2009 prius will get over 80mpg and watch their jaws drop.