1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you get better milage with a specific brand of gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Jan 6, 2024.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Which?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whatever brand with the most outdated pumps that puts more gas in your tank than it says it does...

Preebee likes this.
  3. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    As long as it's Top Tier Fuel, I doubt you'd notice any difference in actual MPG. There are a lot of other variables that would affect MPG from tank to tank, such as outside temperature, tailwind or headwind, over/under inflation of tires, amount of extra weight in the car, stop and go city driving vs freeway driving etc..

Trollbait likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because of the different ways different refineries mix their gas batches, and differences in particular local distribution systems about which brands get which refinery outputs -- or even swap commodity base stocks among them -- any "best mpg" results in one area likely don't carry over to other areas. Or even season to season.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Lately seeing a push around here to brand E15 fuel as... well, anything other than E15.

Any car will get reduced MPG on that stuff due to reduced energy content of that fuel type.

When the consumer doesn't understand that it isn't the same as regular gasoline, things get confusing.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I doubt there's any difference. That said, I stick slavishly with Chevron.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you just getting E15, or always had it. None here, but did try it in the Camry when down south. Sheetz was pointing out it being higher octane; close to midgrade. Likely of no import to the Camry, but I figured the lower price more than made up for the lower energy content.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mostly noticing that Sheetz is going out of their way to advertise it as "Sheetz 88." They're not hiding the fact that it's E15, but they just seemed louder than usual in branding it as, well anything other than E15.

I haven't knowingly tried their E15 in our Prius, but there aren't a lot of their stations on our common routes.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's how I remember their signage in NC and Va when I had the Camry. I only tried it because of the lower price at those locations. Subaru says no to E15 in non-turbo engines, so haven't driven past a Sheetz since then.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No unless it's not Top Tier. (Got poor mileage on a tank once in middle-of-nowhere Saskatchewan).

Also, if it's E10 vs. non-blended fuel - that will make a difference but given that now practically all 87 grade fuel is E10, there's no longer the option around me for non ethanol fuel.

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Reduced engine lifespan too. This is due to laminates building up primarily and less so with issues with Ethanol having the nasty habit of absorbing water.

The whole dishonest racket was entirely for the corn industry to expand their sales numbers by ensuring that legislators believed the lie that adding ethanol would make cars burn cleaner without accounting for the fact that production of Ethanol actually leads to much greater amounts of air pollution / greenhouse gases, not less.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two