1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you guys think this body shop is trying to swindle me?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DSBauer, Oct 10, 2014.

1. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all.

I own a 2014 Prius Four with Sea Glass Pearl color.

I got some minor scratches on both front fender panels. (No dent, just cosmetic issue.)
    So I took my car to a body shop which is known as the BEST in the Greater Toledo area.
    They told me that they had NO problem with matching with the original factory paint color.

However, the professional told me that they had to repaint not only both front fender panels, but also the HOOD & BOTH SIDE A-PILLARS for the PERFECT MATCH.

My concern is only the side Fender Panels. There isn't even a scratch on the HOOD & BOTH SIDE A-PILLARS.

Do you guys think it is true?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For a PERFECT MATCH they are probably right. They should be able to do a VERY GOOD MATCH by just doing the fender panels. Especially as new as your car is.

3. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that is exactly what they said. They told me that they computerized the color and the company owns Toyota dealership as well, so they have plenty of experiences with prius.

And plus they will remove the parts to repaint because they already knew that the paint drying booth is not good for the Hybrid battery.

4. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BTW, they told me that the Sea Glass Pearl color was not PEARL color. The only pearl paint for Prius was Blizzard Pearl.

Is it true????

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whenever we get a minor ding, our place tends to extend the paint zone out into adjacent panels. I believe they "feather" out the color coat. It's near impossible to perfectly match, so this gradual transition is a known strategy. Not sure if they're going too far, but considering their reputation, I'd be inclined to go along with their recommendation.

6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's any "pearl" color, it's a three step process.
    It's not the color (tint) that's hard to match, it's the density of the second coat (the "pearl" material) that's hard to match to the original.
    When I had some touch-up done to my Blizzard Pearl PIP's front bumper cover they had to shoot five different test panels and then they had three different paint guys decide which test panel looked closest to the surrounding paint. Most body shops don't like patching in three step paint- they need to shoot surrounding areas too for a proper match.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, this is one of those cases where you won't know if you'll be happy until they're done. but no, i don't think they're trying to swindle you. can you live with the scratches? maybe just touch them up.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The hood and A pillars sounds excruciating to me, but I ain't seen the fender damage either.

Yes,
    But I ain't seen the fender damage either.
    How comforatable are you with the $ damage?

DSBauer likes this.
  9. euhysh

euhysh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What they are trying to do is called paint blending all adjacent panels of the fender. You can learn about it here:

How bad are these scratches? Maybe you can try one of those PDR guys, not only do they work on dings, some of them also do wonders with scuff marks and minor scratches.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I can see the description "BLND" for the hood and a-pillars on my estimated paper from the body shop.

After I watched the video clip that you linked, I think they are going to paint not whole parts but just blending it.

I think I should contact the PDR guys.

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's nothing worse that a bad paint job that stands out.

[​IMG]

Many bodyshops will blend the paint over nearby panels to avoid such an obvious repair. This is more work and more expensive. Personally I find it worse when the bad repair looks good in daylight but stands out a mile under street lights.

As others have said, can you live with the scratches or pay the $'s for a good repair on your new car?