1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you have an iPod, MP3 player, XM or Sirius? - Poll

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rwithop, Apr 27, 2005.

?
  1. iPod

100.0%
  2. Other MP3 Player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. XM Satellite Radio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sirius Satellite Radio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. MD Player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. CDs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Tapes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Records, LP, do I have to ask 8 track?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Just curious...

Who out there owns an iPod vs some other type of MP3 player? Who has Sirius or XM Satellite radio? How many of us "greenies" are using CDs and tapes?

Let's see where we as a community stand. Please take the time to answer the quick poll. Thanks.

2. guido

guido Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Currently only using CDs. However, after reading the posts on PC, I'm almost ready buy an iPod and copy everything over. I have a couple of trips scheduled from SF to LA this summer and the iPod will be more convenient than switching CDs the whole trip.

3. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I use my Palm Tungsten E as an mp3 player, though 99% of the time, it's not music. I mostly listen to podcast of various types on my 40-60 minute commute.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I wish there was an controller interface standard so that any MP3 player could be controlled 'remotely'. As it stands, because of IPod's initial popularity, and subsequently 3rd party adapters for it, the market has gotten locked in for IPods.

5. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"85197)</div>
    Aye. It's the equivalent of the DeBeers marketing coupe d'etat of the latter twentieth century. When Beta lost to VHS, it was a B2B issue. Ipod is straight B2C. It's a nice device though. Personally, I like my Rio. But, really the thing I like is the ability to have so much music and audio to choose from - regardless of device.

6. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Man, I have everything listed, except Sirius. In the Prius its cd/XM.
    And, I'm still known to buy vinyl.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Palm Tungsten III PDA

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The problem with this vote is the voting system assumes exclusivity, where the question and answers are not exclusive.

I have the basics: CD, Tape, radio. I listen to radio and CD. I used to listen to tape when I was in the choir, but now A: I am no longer in the choir, and B: they issue the practice music on CD-R now.

I would use my laptop if a reasonable means to control it is developed, and deliver sound without messing up the existing system.

9. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have an iPod and I used to listen to it in the car using an iTrip, however the sound quality and convenience is not all that great. I recently installed an XM radio (from Jon at PriusXM) and like it a lot. I mainly listen to my iPod at work when I walk between buildings on campus and while I walk to lunch and back. I am still waiting for a good iPod interface, which ideally would consist of a cradle into which you slide the iPod and which would only use the dock connector to both recharge it and to play the tunes, and which could be controlled with the steering wheel buttons and have the playlist and song info displayed on the MFD. I also have several CDs in the CD changer of the Prius, namly discs that I haven't gotten around to ripping onto the iPod yet.

As far as PDAs are concerned, the PalmOne Treo 650 is teh r0X0r!!!

- Bill

10. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Yes, unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to make the poll non-exclusive. But so be it.

I am curious as to whether Prius owners are rebels and choose unpopular devices, choose the latest and greatest gadget, or are fiscally conservative. Unfortunately, I fit in all of those categories.

11. GeeWiz

GeeWiz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing not mentioned is Legacy 6 stack CD players. I have my venerable 1985 pioneer 6 CD cartriges running in my Prius via a FM Modulator. This modulator plugs directly into the FM Antenna, and for the life of me, I can't hear any loss due to the modulator. Especially on the Highway or with it up load and the windows open. Does this qualify as a cool toy (even though it's 10 years young) ?

12. wizard

wizard New Member

I have a Palm Zire 72 w/ a 1Gb SD card. It can play mp3's, AAC's and more, but I'm dissatisfied with the available means to join it to the Prius Sound system. I have the Premium package.

The cassette adapters make a lot of noise clattering in the player. FM transmitters I've tried are too weak and often generate static. Does anyone have a good adapter experience outside of iPod specific choices?

13. rwithop

rwithop New Member

I would check out the PAC AUX-BOX. Many people have had good experiences here with it.

Check out the sticky Audio forum topic, "List of Hardware Devices that Definitely Work with the Prius." for details on how to buy and what people think.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We recently got an iPod. So far we like it quite a bit. Hubby also has a PSP, which can play music if you have a big enough memory card.

No connection to the Prius just yet, we are using CDs and the occasional bit of radio play.

15. marc8773

marc8773 New Member

i've got the iPod, sirius, and cd changer going!

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone else tried streaming internet radio in the Prius?

It's very doable. :)

I have a Nokia 6620, which has RealPlayer on it. With a pop-port adpater for the phone, you can plug in a cassette adapter and pop that into the prius. It's not too bad quality-wise, but you can get drop outs if you're going through mountains and whatnot.

You can also use it as a MP3 player (I have a 512MB card in my phone, which will hold a few CDs and podcasts).

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Currently I'm listening to regular radio (AM & FM) and cds in my 6-disc changer. My Prius doesn't have a tape deck. I also have an XM radio kit that I am having installed/integrated possibly tomorrow. I traded my black video Ipod to my husband for a Roomba (I never used the Ipod and never wanted it in the first place so it's no loss to me). :)

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I ditched the JBL system in less than a month and have a PC installed under my seat that does it all. :D

19. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I enjoy Top Tracks #46, Classic Rock, on XM Radio. I'm too lazy to fill an IPod or MP3 player. I'd rather spend money on the subscription than spend time finding the music I like. After installing the Kenwood subwoofer, I'm thrilled with the sound quality off XM.

20. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All of the above exept XM