1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you know anybody who sold their Prius and returned to a non-Hybrid car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by craigk, Oct 18, 2009.

1. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you know anybody who sold their Prius and returned to a non-Hybrid car?

Do you know why?

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not to my knowledge do I know anyone or work associates etc, that have done this. I in fact traded a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid to get BACK into a 2010 PRIUS-V! If that helps!:)

3. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    P.S. I love my Prius, but need all wheel drive for the early winter mornings before the plows have done their work. Can anyone convert my Prius to AWD? Maybe add wheel motors to the rear with a separate battery?

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think there have been some here who have said that they are getting rid of their Prius and getting a different vehicle. A conventional vehicle. I know that some have sold their Prius because they bought on credit and couldn't continue to make the payments. The one I am thinking of right now was extremely sad to have to give it up.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I remember the other day reading a post on here from someone (I am sorry, I forgot your username) who sold their Prius and bought a Mazda. It may have even been an RX-8... They posted a pic of it in red.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, there are crazy people in this world.
    If you NEED AWD, how about a Highlander Hybrid? I believe that is AWD. Funny thing is, plenty of our members manage with the Prius in snow conditions. I recall riding with FireEngineer on a snow covered road with no issues. The snow was several inches deep and -20c outside.

7. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm talking about more than "several inches deep" snow.

The Highlander is a big SUV, even with it's better than average MPG's. I'd get a small AWD car with very good MPG's and not all the extra batteries, motors, etc. It's a good SUV if you need that size.

I do ride on Nokian Hakkapeliitas in the winter and more than "manage" - they help ALOT, but it still isn't all wheel drive.

8. JasonPro

JasonPro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not in the market for a SUV or AWD vehicle, but for most people that are I think that the Highlander is too big and too pricey. Toyota really needs to make a hybrid Rav4!

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I'd like to see Toyota hybridize the Matrix while keeping the power and towing capacity of the 2.4L version, not necessarily a 2.4L atkinson.

It will be quite some time before we see a Hybrid Matrix as it's not a big seller for Toyota.

For people that only drive maybe 6k miles per year, it's harder to make a case for having a Prius.

Today a Toyota salesman told me the 2010 Prius does not like to sit for more than 2 weeks as the 12V battery can give out. Don't know how much truth there is to that.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. I know at least two people who have sold their Prius to buy a non-hybrid, fully-electric vehicle. One when they bought a Tesla, and one when they bought a used Rav4EV.

As to why... because burning gasoline sucks.

11. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was in NC this weekend and flipping through channels and came upon a Toyota dealership commercial, or infommercial or something. They were showing their collection of used cars. They had a 2009 Prius that had 4,000 miles on it. They said the owner traded in their Corolla for this car, but loved the Corolla so much that they traded the Prius in for a new Corolla. I had a Corolla, I am not going back!!!!!!!

12. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm canning mine..it's a great car and has served it's purpose, but soooo boring to drive.

13. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Once you go Prii, you will never ever flee :D

Will be keeping the current one for the next 9 years or so, and hopefully we'll have fully electric vehicles by the time it's time to switch :)

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I wasn't any help, I was in the USA for 10 days and it is the only time in my life I have seen snow.

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Odd, I have only had mine 7 months, but still find it endlessly entertaining to drive. Perhaps I am easily amused. (Gas mileage has been way up this month, now that I am not running A/C full blast)

16. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's ok...I'd like to spend the winter in Australia!

17. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately you are correct. Had VW not had reliability and dealer problems I might have bought the TDI, it is more fun to drive. Check out the TDICLUB website, so many forum topics are dealer complaints and car problems. You don't see that here much on Priuschat!

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A friend at work had to sell his '06 and reverted to a non-hybrid. But this was due to financial difficulties at the time. He still has an unused EV mod kit that he wants to sell, in case anyone's interested.

19. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My winter or your winter?
    I returned to Australia on 18th January and on the 26th of January it was 48 degrees c here! So I went from -20c to +48c in under 10 days, ouch! I also got very sick with flu like symptoms.

20. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not look @ the FEH (Ford Escape Hybrid) ? If I was in the need for an SUV I might look at that one... used.

:)