1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you L33t5p34k?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Mar 23, 2006.

?
  1. 4850|u73|y!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have noticed a smattering of leetspeak here on PriusChat. Being that your average Prius driver is more technologically inclined than your average car owner, I'm curious just how many PriusChatters are 1337 – or use other forms of cypher to communicate with friends.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

If you Firefox, it is easy to leetspeak by adding the Leet Key extension.
    Leet Key easily transforms typed or static text to and from L337, ROT13, BASE64, HEX, URL, BIN, DES Morse code, and DVORAK. You can even combine them and (for example) ROT13 your leet and then Morse code it.
    -.-. . .---- .... ..... ( ..- ....- --... --... ...-- . ..... . | _ | -.-- ...-- ! ! ! !

That should send a shudder through the moderators! :p :lol:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...ication=firefox

One of my favorite quick “your eyes only†cyphers was to send some coworkers messages in white letters on a white background. Yes, it's totally insecure and is kept along with all the other electronic records . . . but on a spur of the moment thing, how many people would know to click and drag a blank area to expose the text?

So, do you yrrgfcrnx? :huh:

2. SluggoLovesNancy

SluggoLovesNancy New Member

..-. .-. --- -. -.. . ..- .-. ! .--- ..- ... - .- -.. -.. ..-. .-. . -. -.-. .... - --- - .... . -- .. -..- - --- --- !

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ... --- -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . ... .- -.-- .. -. --. - .... . -.-- .- -.. -.. . -.. ..-. .-. . -. -.-. .... - --- .-.. . . - -.- . -.-- ..--.. - .... .- - .-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.-- .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -... . .---- ...-- ...-- --... ! :lol:

4. SluggoLovesNancy

... . ----- .- --.- ...-- .... . --.. ...-- ....- .- ..... " ..... .... ---.. .. ...-- . ..... .---- .. ...-- " ----- . " --.. ....- | ( ----- .- --... ...-- .- --... " .---- .- ... . ...-- .- ( ..- .-.-.- .-- .... ..... --... .--- ..- ....- --... .--- ...-- .- ...-- ...-- --.- ..- ...-- . ...-- ....- --... " -.-. ( " | ....- .- --.- !

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I don't think that really qualifies... :rolleyes:

6. SluggoLovesNancy

Not sure what you mean?

Using steganography and the right key, my sluggo avatar transforms into Charles Suitt's white cat, with a special message for those willing to persue.... k337 ?

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Sorry, but I see people who use leet or AOLspeak are loser morons who want attention. JUST USE ENGLISH, PEOPLE! If you want to be cute and use the PC equivalent of hearts instead of dots on your "i"s,don't expect normal people to bother to take the time to translate. Kinda like Star Trek geeks who speak Klingon to each other.

Just my opinion... nothing personal.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    S6kyfJhK4bgfzgFsnJinIn7zZok5P4MV4EruYSkTfGQsmL1ixMjIOdeNnS78kbxoY+/7ty08hPAq
    U/xBDUUWPM2Xe6UzqObYS6kyfJhK4bgfzgFsnJinIn7zZok5P4MV4EruYSkTfGQsmL1ixMjIOdeN
    nS78kbxoY+/7ty08hPAqU/xBDUUWPM2Xe6UzqObYS6kyfJhK4bgfzgFsnJinIn7zZok5P4MV4Eru
    YSkTfGQsmL1ixMjIOdeNnS78kbxoY+/7ty08hPAqU/xBDUUWPM2Xe6UzqObYFa74ESKOXH4fzgFs
    nJinIuoa1XHff9M3
    (hint: start with DES MPGs)

For KTPhil,
    1 46e33 - 17'5 wh57 l0he 0c1a10a. :lol:

9. v.jones

v.jones New Member

You left off the option "I am literate in elite speak but choose to select communications over jargon." It is hard enough to communicate ideas clearly with proper attention to grammar, syntax, word choice, and spelling. I prefer to live by the philosophy that "the people who understand what they are talking about can express themselves in words that anyone can understand." (Sorry, can't remember the exact wording or source of the original so I have taken the liberty of degendering my paraphrase of the quotation). Slang, jargon, speed codes and the like are only useful when FULLY understood by all parties involved. All too often, they seem to be used to impress others rather than enhance communications.

FWIW: YMMV 73

Vince

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Morse Code. Not exactly L3375p34k.

Morse Code is an officially recognized form of communication, used by numerous organizations, military, etc... Not some "cool" h4x0r crap.

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

L3375p34k

Is ok IF you can also write perfect English. Problem is, a lot of kids in school are intermingling the two (I'm including IM shorthand too). I have a friend who's a high school teacher, and you should see some of the written stuff he gets...

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be an option for those of us with a "primitive" understanding.
    I read your 4850|u73|y option, but I need something like N3\/\/8y |337. Or does that take away the "eliteness" of it?

I also couldn't get the firefox extension to work. I use firefox (of course) but it tells me Firefox is configured to block installations, open "edit options" to change. It handily gives me an "edit options" button right there. But I don't see an obvious setting to change, I've tried a few possibilities to no avail, and I can't download it and install from another window. I guess I need to be a H4x0r.

nerfer

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I still love the "Hacker" language selection in Google. Go to http://www.google.com, go to Preferences, and select "Hacker" for language. Save, reload, laugh.

Nate

14. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I understand it, I simply choose not to use it (unless I'm making fun of it).

I had the same problem. If I remember correctly, in the options, go to Content, and check the Warn me when web sites try to install extensions or themes, then go to the exceptions button, and enter the sites there to allow. I may be off on this, but that's what I'm remembering.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While the plasticity of the Human understanding allows me to recognize the words as long as I don't try to stare at them too hard, it takes me about five times longere to attempt typing those things.

Very funny though. :)

16. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank god it says "English" in parens after you do that! Whew.

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was JUST there and my first thought was, "oh crap, I can't read the menu!" :D

18. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's what I did. Maybe I need to restart Firefox?

I also like the "Elmer Fudd" setting in Google preferences.

nerfer

19. SluggoLovesNancy

Oh. I don't think sufferin' was saying that morse was leet, he was demonstrating some of the transformations of the firefox plug-in. For the life of me, I can't decode his last message...

20. SluggoLovesNancy

A puzzle:

5uff3r1n' 1 |0v3 n4n(y

0gN1poi+EaLtuCBpMZs716DQch1iMQzKMKi5LgnVOK8RNjHLS1V8Uh35cQRliP1r25nMeBYZA5g=

[attachmentid=2711]