1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you leave the dealer name on your Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by padroo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you buy a new car they usually have the dealers name on the rear of the car, either a sticker or a license plate frame. Do you remove it?

I did mine today. The stick on decal came off with a heat gun but left the glue. I removed the glue with WD 40.

I replaced the dealer license plate frame that is plane and has no name.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never had that done on any of my California cars. License plate frames, yes - but they don’t last long.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I actually just put the dealership plate frames back ON, a little concerned that our plate is starting to peel at the edges: they're no longer directly painted, it's some sort of lamination. Progress...

Also, there's a dealership label on one corner of the hatch; it's small/discrete AND individual letters, maybe tougher to remove? It's held up good so I tolerate it.

I do have a Whizzy wheel... :sneaky:

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do what you like - it's your car. Mine is a sticker, which I think is still there.

I was touring 4 states away, and someone came up to us and pointed to the sticker "I used to live there - do you know xyz" - leading to a long friendly conversation and relating to people we jointly knew.

But I did take off the plate surrounds on my last car - they rattled.

pilotgrrl and jerrymildred like this.
  5. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    First thing I do is remove the rear dealership sticker, then fit my cherised number plates which are without any writing except the small legal bit UK law requires. I have also removed the 5 year warranty sticker from the rear window too as it looks naff and wasn't straight.

6. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Luckily, nothing hideous and non-removable on my car. The dealer put their license plate frames on mine, F & R. The dealer name on the frames is so large it covers the state name on the plate, which might be illegal. I will be switching them out for something thinner and more reasonable, like maybe the $2,000 per plate WeatherTech titanium frames. :D

Andyprius1, pilotgrrl and Priifan like this.
  7. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know if my dealer's name appears on my car or not.

Mendel Leisk and Priifan like this.
  8. Priifan

Priifan Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We love our dealer (Toyota of Apex) but don't like being a rolling billboard for them. So we peel off their sticker logo as soon as we buy a car there; it comes off easily if you do it at the start. We also don't put stickers or anything else we can avoid on the car because we like fewer distractions, and it messes up the clean design. We are lucky to live in a backwards state that has only a rear license plate.Front ends are much more beautiful without a bent/mangled license plate leading the way. (If I drove an ugly car, I might cover it with funny bumper stickers because we all need a laugh now and then while sitting in traffic.)

9. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My car has no sticker from the dealer, and I was able to catch the sales guy before he put on the license plate frame. Their service was so terrible (worst car buying experience ever) there is NO WAY I wanted to advertise for them in any way.

Andyprius1, pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All dealers stick their decals inside the rear screen over here, but not always the plate carriers. Ours are pressed, embossed with the vehicle registration, (personalised numbers like @Harters costs £££) in black on reflective background, (better for speed camera identification at night) white for the front and yellow for the rear plates. The DVLA censors all combinations of AB12XYZ format and rejects anything remotely vulgar, rude, or in any way potentially offensive.

pilotgrrl and Harters like this.
  11. SneezyKevinA

SneezyKevinA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered my wife custom plates and when they come in I will remove the dealer plate frame. Our dealer does not do stickers, if they had I would have made sure they did not put it on. I may get her a Mets frame to go with her Mets plate.

I don't need to be a rolling Bill Board as someone else said.

When I ordered my Trans Am, the salesman didn't even ask me about the plate frame, he just refused to put it on!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    If they pay you to advertise then leave them on, if not remove them.
    I used to take them of but my dealer sticks them over the heater rear window elements, so I don't bother now as I don't want to damage the elements. Here in the UK we have to have the number plate makers name on the registration (license) plate and the dealer makes them up.

Andyprius1, pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  13. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't have any dealer swag. If it did, I'd tell them to remove it before I'd take delivery. I removed the license holders as soon as my plates arrived. I think it's a good idea to let the police know it's a new car so I don't get hassled.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For what, being completely plateless? That a strange situation State-side: up here, you do not roll onto the road without plates, period.

15. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For both of my Prii, I asked the dealer not to put, or to remove, the dealer decal as part of their new car preparation. Dealer presented new cars with no decals.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here in Virginia the dealer has a connection to DMV and prints out 30 day temporary paper plates. I left the dealer license frames on until I got my permanent plates.
    Normally, if you are local, you go to the dealer to have the plates installed. Since I am 50 miles away, the dealer shipped the plates to me.

pilotgrrl and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the first things I do when I buy a vehicle is remove dealership advertising. And it's no knock against the dealership. I just don't like it. If they want to pay me a percentage to advertise for them, I'll consider signing a contract, otherwise it comes off. And I might think they've been great, it still doesn't matter.

Years ago, I bought a new car, and immediately went home and put new licence plate frames on the vehicle, and this was when you had to wait for your plates to arrive at the dealership, I also turned around the dealership licence plate inserts, to the blank back-side.
    Then I returned a day or two later to have some accessories installed, and I heard the guys in the service department laughing because they thought my turning around the dealers inserts and removing the dealership licence plate frame was evidence of my being upset at the dealership. I wasn't...but they were saying things like "Here's another Happy Customer" sarcastically.

Recently I was in a local Honda Dealership and noticed the new Honda's being sold at this dealership had an OEM like looking dealership naming badge actually attached to the vehicle.
    Boy, that would have to go.
    I can understand offering a cheap licence plate frame with the dealership slogan or name. Even the temporary inserts. But actually applying a badge to the vehicle....sorry, that's going too far IMO.

Once I buy a vehicle? It's mine....not the dealerships.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like the system up here, it makes a lot of sense: no plate, no sale. Everybody is motivated: dealership arranges to have an insurance agent attend when you're picking up the car, with all the documents and plates. Not that hard.

I always picture America as the no-nonsense, practical country, and for the most part am never disappointed. But this license plate hiatus thing is a head-scratcher...: completely out of character, lol.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What if the car gets registered and the financing falls apart at the last minute? The dealer is stuck with a used car because it has already been titled.
    The insurance agent attending is wasteful too. I have never met my insurance agent. They are out of state and I deal by email and phone.

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In Virginia the plate stays with the owner when a car is sold. In Ontario Canada it stayed with the car. Since I did not trade in a car my Prius needed new plates.