1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you like DRL - Daytime Running Lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Areometer, Feb 5, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, but too bad that mine didn't.

87.5%
  2. Yes, and I'm glad that mine did.

12.5%
  3. No, and I'm glad that mine didn't.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, but unfortunately mine did.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am totally indifferent.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Huh? What is DRL?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just read this interesting site called: Association of Drivers Against DRL's. Want to know your opinion now:

>> Go to www.LightsOUT.org/story.html

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just turn the headlights on and leave them on. They turn themselves off when the car powers down so what's the difference except I can turn them off if I really want to?

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess if I had to have them on my car I would at least like a switch so I could turn them off. They may well be like eye level brake lights that we all have now, after everyone gets accustomed to seeing them they are mostly ignored, and therefore of little value.

We can tack all kinds of junk on our cars to "make them safer" but in truth the driver still causes and/or prevents almost all acidents.

Another thing to remember, once we make something like this mandatory we are going to be stuck with it forever. We (our forefathers) made sealed beam headlights mandatory back in the early 1940s and although much better headlights were available in Europe during the 1950s, and halogen bulbs were used in Europe and other places from about 1962 on, we could not use them until after 1983 because of our sealed beam requirement.

From what I have seen when the insurance industry and the government (and now General Motors) get together and decide to save us from ourselves it's time to watch out. If you don't you will most likely end up with air bags on your lawn mower, and you may anyway.

4. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only thing I like about them is they turned on/off automatically and adjust to nighttime lights when dark out. Personally, I don't care if they on on in the day or not. Most people don't notice them and neither do I.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They work. I mean, I'm so used to it, any car without DRLs become invisible to me until they're a few feet away lol. But ya, a DRL-OFF switch would be nice.

6. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, read their arguments and all I can say is of all the causes to be that passionate about! Here in MN we have a low winter sun and I can say that I absolutley see cars more visibly when the lights are on. And the fact is, a lot of people don't put their lights on when it's raining or snowing...as the law in many states say they should.

Anyhow, I don't think I'll be donating to the anti-DRL movement just yet.

7. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I *hate* the high beam based DRLs. They're almost always too bright and poorly aimed.

I *love* the turn signal based DRLs. My personal feeling is that the yellow/orange colored lights are much move visible and they don't have the glare of the high beam units.

I've added turn signal based to two of my vehicles including my 2005 Prius.

8. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In the case of the Prius; which is so unique in the way that it starts up, there is virtually no difference except the manual control that you listed.

9. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But a huge trade-off (IMO) is that no Canadian Prius can come w/ HID headlights - not even a factory option. I wonder if any other country sacrifices HID on a Prius for DRL too apart from Canada?

10. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I totally agreed with you. And that's why Toyota is now on their FRIEND'S LIST. Just look at the '03+ 4Runner - it uses amber parking light as DRL - the best of both worlds. Why can't the Canadian Toyota do the same for the Prius and let them have HID headlights?

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

take the piss useless fog lights make them DRL's and give me HID's.

12. sweden prius

sweden prius New Member

>> Go to www.LightsOUT.org/story.html

Ha ha, what an incredibly silly article.

"But Scandinavia, which is located in the far northern latitudes (i.e. North Pole,) has much less ambient lighting than the United States, especially in the winter. "

North Pole? You must be jesting. :)

"especially in the winter"? Well it works like this: In the south of Scandinavia (where most people live, and the ~ latitude as Scotland) the sun sets around 10 pm during the summer months. Around Stockholm it hardly gets dark at all during the summer. Way, way, way up north is the Polar circle (no way near the pole though) where the sun is up even at nigth. So... All in all, around the year I think it is safe to say that even in Scandinavia we get the same amount of ligth as anywhere else. Elas, warmth is another matter. It doesn't even out the same way.

"Anyone with even a basic knowledge of geography, however, will see the plain and apparent differences between these nations and our own - their distance from the equator! "

Yes indeed, basic knowledge is a good thing. Please apply ;)

But the I read this remarkable argument:
    "Quite simply, if most vehicles have DRLs, it's harder to spot those who do not" and I knew it was all meant as a joke.... :lol:

13. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

HID bulbs are really pricey. Most cars with HID's usually have Halogen, non-HID DRL. So, if you don't mind paying for HID bulbs, you can certainly leave you HID's on all the time.

14. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

That's what I do, too. Just leave 'em on. I find that any car is more visible, especially in dawn or twilight, with lights on.

15. Subversive

Subversive New Member

My personal impression has been that DRL encourage people to not use their headlights when they really ought to be, like at dusk in a drizzle, for instance. Those things are only intended for parking lots, not the open road.

16. fproudfoot

fproudfoot New Member

HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE BULBS HAVE NO FILAMENT SO THEY DON'T JUST BURN OUT!!! ALSO THEY ARE MUCH BRIGHTER AND USE 40% LESS WATTS. (LIKE THE THE ARC LIGHT IN A MOVIE PROJECTOR).

17. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But I see so many people that don't use headlights at dusk, dawn or in inclement weather that I want to slap them and tell them to turn on their lights!

18. TorontoSusan

TorontoSusan New Member

I've got them and I like them. I can see where city drivers may not care much, but on the outskirts of Toronto, when the roads (and lighting) are more country than city, they're great - and who argues with safety.

Read your article: that part about 'distance from the equator' was funny: you'd think Canada was next door to the North Pole! Most of us (sorry Alberta) are located down by the US border. I don't know .. that article sounded washy to me

19. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I had 'em on my '02 and liked 'em. Must admit I forgot to turn my "real" ones on when it got dark a couple of times, though. Guess they haven't offered them on US cars since '02 or '03.

20. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like the way they are set up on the Prius. Many people DO NOT have the good sense to turn on their lights during dusk, bad weather. My commute often has me driving away from the beach area to my east county home. Cars with lights on are easier to see behind me against the glare of the setting sun.