1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you listen to NPR? If you do, are you then a liberal?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 5, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love listening to NPR. Cartalk, Fresh Air, This American Life, On Point(sorry not a Prarie Home Companion Fan). You get the whole gamut. Comedic contemplation on fixing cars, human stories on famous and regular people, news and scientific story presentations with in depth critical thinking, debate, and commentary(as opposed to soundbite foxnews pseudonews).

I know that "libs" eat this stuff up. Do conservatives listen this stuff, particularly the southern or evangelical christian conservative types?

2. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a west coast artist, surfer, musician type transplanted to the north east and I've listened all my life. While I do lean to the left, a good position is a good position, no matter where it comes from.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 5 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]455850[/snapback]</div>
    I am listening to NPR right now. I listen 1-5 hrs a day. Politically, I am a conservative independent.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I never listen to NPR... i personally can't stand it - i'd much rather have my iPod going. But thats just me.

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its the closest we have to independent reporting. Rather than a pundit or a newsman talking in front of scenery NPR takes the time to interview people affected by the issues.

I don't want fair and balanced. I want facts and conclusions.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 5 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]455881[/snapback]</div>
    I use my iPod also. To listen to NPR podcasts! Nothing better than listening to free intellectually stimulating and amusing NPR unless it's listening to it on your own time.

7. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know if this is more an artifact of the relative broadcast quality of FM vs AM (FM generally sounds less "harsh" or "sharp" acoustically) or is a genuine contrast, but with NPR and PRI being exclusively FM here in the Bay Area, when tuning from AM talk or news radio to an NPR station I always feel as though I've left a noisy playground full of kids yelling and carping at each other and entered a quiet room with adults engaged in calm (and profoundly more interesting) conversation. The effect is so strong I rarely tune in AM talk or news stations - and I'll mention for the record that the progressive AM station with Al Franken on it sounds just as harsh and sharp as the others, so it may be just a broadcast quality thing.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

8. DGCL

DGCL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I alternate between NPR and my iPod because I don't live close enough to get good reception, but I work a few blocks from the station.

I guess I'm pretty far left, I'm a Canadian-born, Prius-driving, NPR-listening, registered Democrat. And like Alric, I support Roslin/Adama.

9. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jun 5 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]455883[/snapback]</div>
    I AGREE 100%! I listen to NPR several hours a day usually and to the BBC worldservice on Michigan Public radio for at least and hour in bed each night... Although I would say that NPR gives facts... but not conclusions... NPR does not tell me what to think, it simply gives me the honest and objective tools to make my own intelligent and reasonable conclusions. God Bless NPR, the honest voice of America!

10. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

If you listen to NPR and agree with what you hear, you are a liberal getting fed your daily dose. If you have to turn NPR off in disgust on a regular basis, then you are a person who thinks for him/herself.

Bush-bashing is not a sign of unbiased coverage. I used to love PHC and many other shows, but the smugness, the liberal disdain in the voices and the outright personal attacks on Bush are inappropriate on a publicly funded network. My tax dollars hard at work on behalf of the DNC.

I download some of their podcasts and listen to them, and often turn on National Liberal Radio during the week for as long as I can stand it, which is usually not long. It's too bad, really. And I'm for pulling the plug on this propaganda machine.

The choice of topics reported on and those not reported on, the "news" angles and the commentaries are extremely and consistently left wing. It can run on every broadcast channel on the dial as far as I'm concerned, but it should not be publicly funded.

I am a conservative reformed Christian (that is different from fundamentalist, for you National Liberal Radio listeners who know less than you think) living in the South. I get two NPR channels anywhere I go in the state -- one is mostly music and the other is talk. The reception is gorgeous. I know many people who listen, including other Christians. The music is wonderful. There are also great locally produced shows, such as those on S.C. history, gardening (Got Bugs?), food preservation (even if you don't want to preserve food it is good listening, like CarTalk for non-car folk) and I can't remember what else. But on the national level, NPR is DNC propaganda.

Now. Let's be honest here. Many of you have already said NPR is unbiased. I think this calls for some further self-examination on your parts. I will admit that Rush Limbaugh is extremely biased to the right. Why can't you admit that NPR is predominantly liberal in its point of view?

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NPR only SEEMS like a liberal bias because of the right-wing slant of most news we get. Also, NPR, if it has any bias, it's towards conservatism; they don't want to upset those generous corporate sponsors, so you'll never hear anything about the problems with GMOs, pharmaceutical companies, etc.

12. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jun 5 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]456240[/snapback]</div>
    I was told at a very young age that too much self-examination of my parts will make me go blind... :D

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    listening to people talking would lull me to sleep. the talk where i work is always highly animated, and when i'm not listening to that i'm listening to music. i need music.

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jun 5 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]456240[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet you believe in creationism, noah's ark, and the 2nd coming right?

15. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I listen to NPR every morning and afternoon. On the weekends, I'll listen to NPR via Sirius. I am liberal, but that isn't why I enjoy NPR. I listen because I enjoy the "other" news stories (on Morning Edition and All Things Considered). I also enjoy Car Talk, Wait Wait..., and many others. I would have to say that the best thing I get from NPR is conversation topics. For example, I'll be sitting at dinner with my wife and friends and mention a story I heard on All Things Considered that afternoon, and the conversation goes on from there.

Now I will say this: these are my opinions. Others may disagree with my view of things, and I applaud that. If everyone had the same idea of what was entertaining or not, there would only be one radio station broadcast on one frequency. If that were the case, how could we use FM modulators? ;)

16. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't listen to NPR or any other radio station. However, I don't mind listening to NPR. My colleagues sometime listen to NPR in the lab, and I like what I hear.

I don't have an iPod either, I like the silence (unless I am watching tv) :p

17. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, here is my POV....I listen to NPR almost exclusively. Generaly their coverage is comprehensive, but I do have a mind of my own and I can tell when there is a slant. They are better than most at hiding their bias but they do have one. But you must remember that NPR is more than the news (ATC, ME) it is the verry smart 'game shows' and Fresh Air, Car Talk, A moment in Time, etc. Much better than the crap my kids listen to and they do try to get the facts right (unlike Rush),

Oh yes, I am a right of center southern Christian Army officer plus Son and husband of immigrants and conservationist.

18. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 5 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]455850[/snapback]</div>
    I listen to NPR every day. When the stories start repeating I switch to my iPod. My favorite show on any medium is Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. Cracks me up.

NPR goes to the trouble to dig a little deeper. Every day I hear news that I don't hear from any other source, liberal or conservative.

19. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Essayons @ Jun 6 2007, 08:21 AM) [snapback]456439[/snapback]</div>
    Is that your full title? :lol:

20. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 6 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]456338[/snapback]</div>
    And that would mean exactly what?

I would answer if I thought you had a serious interest in anything other than a chance to spout the same old, same old canned, tired, anti-Christian drivel that makes you feel so very smart.

My answers might even surprise you, if you had ears to listen.

But you have made up your mind, so I leave you to it.

I do have one question, though. If you found a working watch in the forest but saw no watchmaker, would you assume no one had made the watch?