1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You Live in a Cool City?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jgills240, May 24, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's an email I got from Sierra Club, watch out, it's pretty tree-huggerish!

My city is on there! How 'bout yours?

2. Phred

Phred New Member

It appears that San Francisco is a Cool city too! B)

3. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    City? What's that?? Give me the country any day, that's where it's cool B)

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, and I'm rather surprised given that our mayors have a history of being in the pocket of developers. That tends to bode badly for green-ness.

I did know about our landfill's success and I know SDG&E is pushing Compact Fluorescents, insulation, etc to conserve. But I had no idea it went beyond that. The residents of course do their part. I see a lot of Prii. We have blue bin recycling and they've expanded the materials they'll take.

http://www.coolcities.us/node/587

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with spideyman. Country is cool. As the Chairman of the Hamlet of Beavercreek, I declare us cool! We are trying to retain the rural character of our community! Sustainability is written into our bylaws.

6. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if you live in the country, your standards are higher 'cause there's less people and it's easier to be cleaner. So you guys have to incinerate your inceneratables, recycle your recycleables, have solar or wind powered homes, and drive EVs. :)

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That list is somewhat outdated... for Mayland Martin O'Malley is not the mayor of Baltimore... he is the Governor of the state now... And here in Ohio how the heck can toledo be on that list yet not Bowling Green? appearantly simply signing some climate list makes an entire city green??? I dare to say that actions speak FAR louder than words... Bowling Green has electric parking enforcement vehicles, 4 390-foot high wind trubines (with another 30 on the way), a free citywide recycleing program (that nearly everyone participates in) and the city/university promote hybrid mass transit (through the univeristy's Electric Vehicle Institute).... So read this 'list' critically

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 25 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]449758[/snapback]</div>
    And, keep in mind that some cities or townships that aren't on that list may be doing far more than those that are. Where we have our land, a large percentage of the community are restoring their land with native flora, conserve water and other resources and are restoring the headwaters of a grade A creek. I talked with the IDNR the other day and he said he works in numerous municipalities and has never seen such a cooperative movement on behalf of the residents to care for the earth.

The township where my house is blows. There's a huge water retention area nearby for storm water run off. I don't know how I didn't hear this when it was occurring, but supposedly they're expanding it and wanted to dig a huge ditch in the middle of an old corn field for the additional run off. After much pressure, they've succumbed to the restoration of the land to wetlands to help absorb the run off. This is a far better approach as the native flora will help to cleanse the water of pollutants before it returns underground. This will also provide critical habitat for wildlife, where the former would be void. They have an excellent recycling program but I haven't seen movement or progression in any other environmental area.

9. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Trenton has a big tree planting program on going. So we will be a cool city very soon.
    I went to the presentation by the rep from the forestry division, and it was very impressive.
    It's amazing that trees can also reduce crime and speeding! B)

10. DGCL

DGCL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My city of Agoura Hills is not but every surrounding city (Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Santa Monica, Los Angeles, etc.) is. I work in Santa Monica so I think that's kind of a half point, either way I voted no because ultimately the zip code I sleep in isn't on the list.